Firefighters warn about extension cord sparked fires - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Firefighters warn about extension cord sparked fires

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Employers ready for upcoming job fair at Moody AFB

    Employers ready for upcoming job fair at Moody AFB

    Thursday, August 21 2014 9:36 AM EDT2014-08-21 13:36:59 GMT
     Thursday morning, the Valdosta-Lowndes County chamber, along with the Department of Labor, held their second and final "Operation Moody Transition" employer workshop ahead of the September 4th job fair.More >>
     Thursday morning, the Valdosta-Lowndes County chamber, along with the Department of Labor, held their second and final "Operation Moody Transition" employer workshop ahead of the September 4th job fair.
    More >>
  • GEMA offers 10 tips during extreme heat

    GEMA offers 10 tips during extreme heat

    Thursday, August 21 2014 9:17 AM EDT2014-08-21 13:17:46 GMT
    A heat wave will make it feel like the temperature is over 100º in the next couple of days in South Georgia. The CDC says extreme heat is the top weather-related killer in the nation, claiming approximately 400 lives per year. More >>
    A heat wave will make it feel like the temperature is over 100º in the next couple of days in South Georgia. The CDC says extreme heat is the top weather-related killer in the nation, claiming approximately 400 lives per year. More >>
  • Montford Point Marine to be honored at MCLB

    Montford Point Marine to be honored at MCLB

    Thursday, August 21 2014 8:55 AM EDT2014-08-21 12:55:05 GMT
    Private First Class James Windom became a member of the Montford Point Marines in June 1943. He was honorably discharged from the Marine Corps in Aug. 1949. The Windom family will be at the ceremony Friday to accept his award.More >>
    Private First Class James Windom became a member of the Montford Point Marines in June 1943. He was honorably discharged from the Marine Corps in Aug. 1949. The Windom family will be at the ceremony Friday to accept his award.More >>

By Jim Wallace - bio | email

ALBANY, GA (WALB) –Fire Investigators now say an apartment fire on Odom Avenue Wednesday was caused by an overloaded extension cord.  They don't want the same to happen in your home.

Firefighters warn that with summer heat, air conditioners will be running around the clock in many homes.

Light load extension cords can not handle that voltage, so they say don't use them on air conditioning units.

Albany Fire Department Assistant Chief Allen Cravey said "Any time you can avoid using extension cord, you need to. It's just another link in the process that can malfunction. So if the situation does require you to use an extension cord, then you need to get the heaviest cord that you can."

Firefighters say it's the same fire hazard as using extension cords to power space heaters in the winter.

If an appliance is going to run for long periods of time, the extension cord powering it can overload and ignite.


©2010 WALB News. All rights reserved.   Feedback