Widow says death was needless - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Widow says death was needless

May 1, 2003

Dougherty County-- The widow of an Albany man shot and killed by police says her husband only called 911 to get help. “The law had no reason to come here. He was reaching out for help." But police did show up and B. C. Takach was shot in his own kitchen.

As his family gathers around his bullet-riddled kitchen, they are still trying to figure out how this kind, gentle man ended up dead on the floor.

A 37-second phone call that changed Cindy Takash's life. "He had called 911 for help," says Cindy Takach.

Monday night, her husband, B.C. Takash, had an alcoholic relapse. He told his wife he needed help and planned to get it. So he called 911. When the call ended, B.C. Takach returned to the bedroom and laid down with his wife.

A little while later, there was a knock on the door. "When I opened the door, three officers were standing there. I said, "What are you doing here?'" said Cindy Takach.

"Then, I told them to wait right there." But the officers followed her inside. Hearing voices in his home, B. C. Takach picked up his small pistol and then came face to face with the officers.

Seconds later, two of the three officers opened fire. Six bullets from two nine millimeter pistols flew through the kitchen. One of them hit B.C. Takach in the chest. "When I walked out, he was lying in a pool of blood on the kitchen floor," said Takach.

The question that haunts Cindy Takach. Why did the officers go inside her home? "They burst in and shot him. They fired six shots in my house. No law had been called. You heard the tape. He called the Betty Ford Center," she said.

And the 911 tape raises the question why did the police go to the house to begin with? That's because the 911 operator you heard on the tape called Dougherty County Police and said an intoxicated man had called 911 and they should check on him.

Who could predict the officers she sent to make sure he was okay would end up killing him?

The police defend their actions, saying Takach pointed the gun at them. His widow says he wouldn't have fired. "My husband never harmed anybody." Cindy Takach says her husband loved computers and playing the guitar.

The retired Sears salesman will be laid to rest tomorrow.

posted at 5:18PM by dave.miller@walb.com

Powered by Frankly