New release from the Georgia Department of Labor
ATLANTA – State Labor Commissioner Michael Thurmond said today that Georgia Department of Labor will begin a series of workshops this week to help thousands of laid-off Georgia education employees transition into new careers. The first workshops are scheduled for Friday and Saturday, June 4-5, in Albany, Atlanta, Macon, and Marietta.
The sites of the workshops this week will be the Hilton Garden Inn in Albany, Atlanta Airport Marriott, Atlanta Marriott Century Center, Macon State College, and the Marietta campus of Chattahoochee Technical College. All workshops will be held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
"It's critical that these teachers, administrators and school support personnel know what assistance is available to them in these unprecedented layoffs," said Thurmond. "The Georgia Department of Labor is working closely with Georgia's leading advocates for education personnel to ensure that the affected workers fully understand how to make the best use of the services to help them and their families through this difficult period."
Laid-off workers will be briefed on how to file for unemployment insurance benefits and the wide-range of support, re-employment, training and career transition services available at the state and local levels.
The workshops are the result of an initiative between the Georgia Department of Labor, the Georgia Association of Educators (GAE), the Georgia Federation of Teachers (GFT), and the Professional Association of Georgia Educators (PAGE) to launch a statewide effort to provide assistance to affected personnel.
The following Friday and Saturday, June 11-12, workshops will be held in Dallas at the Paulding Campus of Chattahoochee Technical College and in Dalton at the Northwest Georgia Trade and Convention Center. On Saturday, June 19, an additional workshop will be held in Savannah at the Hyatt Regency Hotel. These workshops will also be held at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
Plans are also underway to establish permanent transition centers strategically located across the state to offer a comprehensive array of employment related information, resources and services. The department and partner agencies will help with securing employment, retooling skills or going back to school. State and federal financial resources are available for education, training, job search and related expenses.
Visit the GDOL Website www.dol.state.ga.us for further information.
- Atlanta Marriott Century Center (North Atlanta), 2000 Century Boulevard NE Atlanta, Georgia 30345 Peachtree, Dogwood, and Decatur Rooms Friday, June 4 & Saturday, June 5 - 10:00am & 2:00pm
- Atlanta Airport Marriott (South Atlanta), 4711 Best Road Atlanta, Georgia 30337 Southern Ballroom, Salon B, C, Sections, 1, 2, 3, 4; 3rd room, Salon B, & C Friday, June 4 - 10:00am & 2:00pm Grand Ballroom, Salon E, F, G, H - Saturday, June 5 - 10:00am & 2:00pm
- Chattahoochee Technical College, 980 S. Cobb Drive, Marietta, GA 30060 Building H, Galleries A, B, C Friday, June 4 & Saturday, June 5 – 10:00am & 2:00pm
- Macon State College, 100 College Station Drive, Macon, GA 31206 Learning Support Building Auditorium Friday, June 4 & Saturday, June 5 - 10:00am and 2:00pm
- Hilton Garden Inn Albany, 101 S Front Street, Albany, Georgia, 31701 Friday, June 4 & Saturday, June 5 - 10:00am & 2:00pm
- Chattahoochee Technical College (Paulding Campus), 400 Nathan Dean Blvd, Dallas, GA 30132 General Purpose Room, B108, Building B Friday, June 11 & Saturday, June 12 - 10:00am & 2:00pm
- Northwest & Georgia Trade and Convention Center, 211 Dug Gap Battle Road Dalton GA 30720 Lecture Hall Theater Friday, June 11 & Saturday, June 12 – 10:00am & 2:00pm
- Savannah Hyatt Regency, 2 W. Bay Street, Savannah, GA 31401 Vernon Room Saturday, June 19th - 10:00am & 2:00pm