Dryer fire creates a lot of smoke - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Dryer fire creates a lot of smoke

Posted: Updated:

By Jennifer Emert - bio | email

ALBANY, GA (WALB) –  Firefighters were called to the one-thousand block of Inverness Road after neighbors spotted smoke pouring from the roof of a home Thursday morning.

No one was home. Investigators say there was a lot of smoke damage to the home, but the fire was primarily contained to the laundry room, another room, and the attic.

Neighbors sitting on their front porch noticed the smoke. Firefighters say dryer fires are common, if you don't keep up with maintenance.

"All of a sudden we noticed smoke coming from the house over there so I called 911 because we knew he had just left and I told them the house across the street was on fire and no one was home," Delinda Bryant, a witness.

"If it clogs up the vent pipe it builds up heat in there and over a period of time it can reach temperatures high enough to ignite the lint," said Deputy Chief Alan Cravey, Albany Fire Department.

Luckily, the family pet was left outside in the fenced backyard and wasn't injured.


©2010 WALB News. All rights reserved.   Feedback

 

Powered by WorldNow