Non-profit sends team to build homes, lives in Haiti - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Non-profit sends team to build homes, lives in Haiti

By Tayleigh Davis - bio | email

ALBANY, GA (WALB) - Nearly three months after a powerful earthquake killed more than 200,000  people in Haiti and left a million homeless, folks in south Georgia haven't forgotten the victims.

The Fuller Center For Housing is sending a big group to Haiti to build homes for people currently living in Tent Cities. WALB News Ten'S Tayleigh Davis talked to one volunteer who's heading there this weekend.

Jacob Battle lives outside Americus where the Fuller Center for Housing headquarters sits. It's out here on hundreds of acres of land where Battle thinks of big plans, including prayers to build homes for families and children in Haiti.

"It's helping people and showing them we care, that I care," Battle said.

Battle is packing for a 12 day trip to Haiti. He's leaving Sunday to help build insulated concrete homes for Haitians. Each one costs $3,000 and should take a week to build.

"Building a house and giving people a place to stay will show mountains of love," Battle said

The homes are meant to withstand future earthquakes. Field Operations Director Ryan Iafigliola and his team have planned this mission for months. They have already sent two staffers to Leogane and Grand Goave. Battle's team will go to Bellanton near Port- au- Prince.

"The need is so enormous and the situation is to tragic but for us it's an opportunity to do something good to impact the world," Iafigliola said.

While Battle constructs homes, he will also build relationships with the earthquake victims. It all came from reflections out on the scenic view from his home  that will help Battle change lives a thousand miles away. The Fuller Center hopes to build 5,000 homes in Haiti over the next five years. To contribute to the Fuller Center call 229-924-2900.


©2010 WALB News. All rights reserved.   Feedback

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:37 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:37:43 GMT
    The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>
  • Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:26 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:26:50 GMT
    Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>
  • Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Monday, July 24 2017 3:48 PM EDT2017-07-24 19:48:41 GMT
    Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly