Doublegate fire blamed on electrical short - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Doublegate fire blamed on electrical short

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • What you need to know before riding an ATV

    What you need to know before riding an ATV

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 9:50 AM EDT2014-04-23 13:50:06 GMT
    A safety warning following four ATV deaths in Georgia this week.      A man died in Liberty County when his 4 wheeler crashed into a tree.  A woman and her two young grandsons died in Walker County whenMore >>
    A safety warning was issued following four ATV deaths in Georgia this week.   Experts say you should not operate ATV's on public roads. You should wear proper gear such as gloves, goggles,  and most importantly a Department of Transportation helmet.More >>
  • Daycare providers face deadline

    Daycare providers face deadline

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 9:15 AM EDT2014-04-23 13:15:14 GMT
    The close of business today is the registration deadline for Bright from the Start. The Georgia Department of Early Care and Learning (DECAL) has posted application packages for new and returning providersMore >>
    The close of business today is the registration deadline for Bright from the Start. The purpose of the program is to prepare children for success in Kindergarten and later school years. Programs are offered at local public schools or through private providers of preschool services.More >>
  • Kendrick Johnson family in Albany

    Kendrick Johnson family in Albany

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 4:33 AM EDT2014-04-23 08:33:54 GMT
    Wednesday morning the family of Kendrick Johnson will make an appearance at ASU to speak to students about their case, its all part of the university's criminal justice week. Those organizing the presentationMore >>
    Wednesday morning the family of Kendrick Johnson will make an appearance at ASU to speak to students about their case, its all part of the university's criminal justice week.More >>

By Jennifer Emert - bio | email

ALBANY, GA (WALB) –  Firefighters think an electrical short in the attic caused a big fire that destroyed an east Doublegate home Sunday.

Firefighters fought the flames for more than an hour Sunday night.

Hilary Houston told investigators she smelled smoke earlier in the day, but it wasn't until she heard what she thought were animals running on the roof that she realized the roof was on fire.

Items stored in the attic helped fuel the fire. 

"Anytime you have a fire in the attic, as dry as it is as hot as it gets in the attic it's a fast moving fire so your playing catchup when you get there and this particular one, the size of the house, it got ahead of us and we could never catch up to it," said AFD Asst. Chief Alan Cravey.

Investigators are still reviewing some of the information before they make a final ruling on the cause.

Damage to the home is estimated between $250,000 and $300,000.

 

©2010 WALB News. All rights reserved.   Feedback

Powered by WorldNow