Candle causes south Albany house fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Candle causes south Albany house fire

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Team USA track star killed in crash

    Team USA track star killed in crash

    Monday, July 28 2014 10:50 AM EDT2014-07-28 14:50:23 GMT
    Track and field field star killed after semi slammed into a stalled car on I-75 in Cordele.More >>
    Track and field field star killed after semi slammed into a stalled car on I-75 in Cordele.More >>
  • PCA faces judge Monday for salmonella outbreak

    PCA faces judge Monday for salmonella outbreak

    Monday, July 28 2014 8:45 AM EDT2014-07-28 12:45:34 GMT
     Happening today jury selection set to get underway in one of the largest food recall cases in our nation's history. It comes nearly 5 years after a deadly salmonella outbreak was linked to a south Georgia peanut manufacture.More >>
     Happening today jury selection set to get underway in one of the largest food recall cases in our nation's history. It comes nearly 5 years after a deadly salmonella outbreak was linked to a south Georgia peanut manufacture.More >>
  • UPDATE: Police search for man who shot up two vehicles

    UPDATE: Police search for man who shot up two vehicles

    Sunday, July 27 2014 11:38 PM EDT2014-07-28 03:38:04 GMT
    Albany police say several shots were fired into an unoccupied vehicle Sunday evening at a restaurant parking lot.More >>
    Albany police say several shots were fired into an unoccupied vehicle Sunday evening at a restaurant parking lot.More >>

By Christian Jennings - bio | email

ALBANY,  GA (WALB) – An Albany family was displaced Tuesday night when a fire ripped through their home at 1656 Sunny Lane. The Robinson's home caught fire at 11:30. It only took five minutes for firefighters to put out the flames, but it destroyed nearly half of the house.

The residents were able to escape safely. Firefighters say Mr. Robinson was attempting to light a lantern when he spilt kerosene close to a lit candle. He tried putting out the flames with a blanket, but it caught fire also.

Firefighters say in some cases a blanket will work, but your safest bet is a fire extinguisher and everyone should have one. Also, as temperatures linger in the 40's overnight they warn residents to use extreme caution when heating or lighting rooms with candles or space heaters. They say on average candles start most of the fires they work in Albany.


©2010 WALB News. All rights reserved.   Feedback