AFD extinguishes apartment fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

AFD extinguishes apartment fire

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Men burglarize defunct Holley School

    Men burglarize defunct Holley School

    Monday, April 21 2014 10:36 AM EDT2014-04-21 14:36:24 GMT
    Sylvester Police arrested two men for stealing items from a Sylvester school that closed several years ago. Lt. Ronnie Graddy of the Sylvester Police Department says that late Friday afternoon, Lt. TracyMore >>
    Lt. Ronnie Graddy of the Sylvester Police Department says that late Friday afternoon, Lt. Tracy Jones noticed a red pick-up truck backed up to the old Holley Elementary School building, on Carter Road in Sylvester.More >>
  • Americus runner back in Boston

    Americus runner back in Boston

    Monday, April 21 2014 7:06 AM EDT2014-04-21 11:06:25 GMT
    One of the thousands of runners participating in the marathon today comes from Southwest Georgia, Charlene Pennymon. She's returning to Boston to win another title but also give hope to others. @ ThisMore >>
    One of the thousands of runners participating in the marathon today comes from Southwest Georgia, Charlene Pennymon. She's returning to Boston to beat her current record but also give hope to others. More >>
  • Thomasville woman celebrates 100th Birthday

    Thomasville woman celebrates 100th Birthday

    Sunday, April 20 2014 5:57 PM EDT2014-04-20 21:57:34 GMT
    A Thomasville woman is celebrating her 100th birthday. Irene Manning celebrates her 100th Birthday today. Friends and family threw her a birthday party at Cherokee Lake in Thomasville. Her grandson saysMore >>
    A Thomasville woman is celebrating her 100th birthday. Irene Manning celebrates her 100th Birthday today. Friends and family threw her a birthday party at Cherokee Lake in Thomasville. Her grandson saysMore >>

By Christian Jennings - bio | email

ALBANY,  GA (WALB) –The kitchen of a South Albany apartment caught fire Tuesday morning.

Firefighters had to force their way inside the apartment on Willard Avenue around 8:30.

Neighbors called 911 after seeing smoke billowing from the unit. The people who live there weren't home.

"When we first arrived we had smoke showing. We couldn't get in due to the doors being locked. We forced entry," said AFD Battalion Chief Keith Ambrose.

Firefighters say an electrical short in the microwave caused the fire. The apartment sustained extensive fire and smoke damage.

The neighboring apartment also has some smoke damage.

©2010 WALB News. All rights reserved.   Feedback

Powered by WorldNow