House fire leaves family homeless - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

House fire leaves family homeless

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • 9-year-old raises funds for Flint RiverQuarium

    9-year-old raises funds for Flint RiverQuarium

    Thursday, July 24 2014 10:30 AM EDT2014-07-24 14:30:46 GMT
    The Flint RiverQuarium has more funds for feeding its animals thanks to the efforts of one 9-year-old girl.More >>
    The Flint RiverQuarium has more funds for feeding its animals thanks to the efforts of one 9-year-old girl.More >>
  • Metro Albany's jobless rate climbs .3%

    Metro Albany's jobless rate climbs .3%

    Thursday, July 24 2014 8:54 AM EDT2014-07-24 12:54:21 GMT
    Information from The Georgia Department of Labor- The Georgia Department of Labor says Metro Albany's unemployment rate increased to 8.7 percent in June, up three-tenths of a percentage point from 8.4More >>
    The rate increased because of seasonal factors, such as the summer job loss among non-contract school workers and temporary layoffs, primarily in manufacturing. There were 60,500 jobs in Albany in June, down by 300, or 0.5 percent, from 60,800 in May. Most of the loss came in state government and the service-related industries.More >>
  • Air Algerie flight vanishes from radar

    Air Algerie flight vanishes from radar

    Thursday, July 24 2014 7:21 AM EDT2014-07-24 11:21:02 GMT
    ALGIERS, Algeria (WALB) - An Air Algerie flight with 110 passengers and 6 crew member has vanished from radar.The flight, which was headed to Algiers from Burkina Faso, disappeared about 50 minutes after takeoff.The plane's flight path passes over Mali where military unrest continues in country's north. The U.S. recently banned flights into and over African conflict zones, including Mali.This comes just days after a Malaysian Airliner was shot down over Ukraine killing everyone on boardCopyri...More >>
    ALGIERS, Algeria (WALB) - An Air Algerie flight with 110 passengers and 6 crew member has vanished from radar.The flight, which was headed to Algiers from Burkina Faso, disappeared about 50 minutes after takeoff.The plane's flight path passes over Mali where military unrest continues in country's north. The U.S. recently banned flights into and over African conflict zones, including Mali.This comes just days after a Malaysian Airliner was shot down over Ukraine killing everyone on boardCopyri...More >>

 By Tayleigh Davis - bio | email

TURNER COUNTY, GA (WALB) - A Turner county family is homeless Sunday night after a fire ripped through their Rebecca home. Several puppies died in fire the but the mother and two children who lived there are okay.

Monique Lewandowski and her neighbors pack and load up items they salvaged after a fire left behind charred remains Sunday afternoon.

" It's hard," said Lewandowski. "We finally got a nice place and the kids got their own rooms and now it's all gone."

Lewandowski and her two kids were not inside, but her nine puppies and two dogs were on the porch. Four puppies made it out. The very first item firefighters brought out was special to the family. It's a letter her daughter wrote to the president urging him to fight bullying.

"She wanted to cut down on bullying in school," Lewandowski said. "I think it's special because how many nine-year-olds want to make a change in the world. My children are my life."

She and her two children just moved into the rental last August and bought new furniture. She had no renters insurance.

" I don't know what I'm going to do," Lewandowski added. "It's hard enough with no family down here."

Lewandowski moved from North Georgia to Rebecca to find a job. Dennis Higgins was the first fire fighter to battle the blaze in her home. 

"The first thing I thought was where is everybody?" said Higgins. "She has kids and they're friends with my kids so that's always sitting in the back of my mind no matter what."

Not only is Lewandowski thankful for all the firefighters who helped she's also grateful for her friends and neighbors who helped her out.

" It hits home because I have four kids and it's hard to see somebody that works so hard -it's gone that quick," said neighbor Melinda Higgins.

As friends continue to help Lewandowski, the Red Cross will provide temporary housing until Lewandowski can get back on her feet.

Rescue crews believe faulty wiring may have started the fire near the washer and dryer in the back of the home. It's still under investigation.

If you'd like to donate to the Lewandowski fund you can call family at 310-600-5174. You can also visit the family's web site.

©2010 WALB News. All rights reserved.   Feedback