House fire leaves family homeless - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

House fire leaves family homeless

 By Tayleigh Davis - bio | email

TURNER COUNTY, GA (WALB) - A Turner county family is homeless Sunday night after a fire ripped through their Rebecca home. Several puppies died in fire the but the mother and two children who lived there are okay.

Monique Lewandowski and her neighbors pack and load up items they salvaged after a fire left behind charred remains Sunday afternoon.

" It's hard," said Lewandowski. "We finally got a nice place and the kids got their own rooms and now it's all gone."

Lewandowski and her two kids were not inside, but her nine puppies and two dogs were on the porch. Four puppies made it out. The very first item firefighters brought out was special to the family. It's a letter her daughter wrote to the president urging him to fight bullying.

"She wanted to cut down on bullying in school," Lewandowski said. "I think it's special because how many nine-year-olds want to make a change in the world. My children are my life."

She and her two children just moved into the rental last August and bought new furniture. She had no renters insurance.

" I don't know what I'm going to do," Lewandowski added. "It's hard enough with no family down here."

Lewandowski moved from North Georgia to Rebecca to find a job. Dennis Higgins was the first fire fighter to battle the blaze in her home. 

"The first thing I thought was where is everybody?" said Higgins. "She has kids and they're friends with my kids so that's always sitting in the back of my mind no matter what."

Not only is Lewandowski thankful for all the firefighters who helped she's also grateful for her friends and neighbors who helped her out.

" It hits home because I have four kids and it's hard to see somebody that works so hard -it's gone that quick," said neighbor Melinda Higgins.

As friends continue to help Lewandowski, the Red Cross will provide temporary housing until Lewandowski can get back on her feet.

Rescue crews believe faulty wiring may have started the fire near the washer and dryer in the back of the home. It's still under investigation.

If you'd like to donate to the Lewandowski fund you can call family at 310-600-5174. You can also visit the family's web site.

©2010 WALB News. All rights reserved.   Feedback

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Valdosta juvenile arrested after stabbing

    Valdosta juvenile arrested after stabbing

    Wednesday, July 26 2017 10:17 AM EDT2017-07-26 14:17:21 GMT
    (WALB image)(WALB image)

    Fire Fighters at Fire Station 2 reported that a man approached the fire station bleeding from a chest wound.  They provided first aid and called for EMS.  

    More >>

    Fire Fighters at Fire Station 2 reported that a man approached the fire station bleeding from a chest wound.  They provided first aid and called for EMS.  

    More >>
  • Rainy weather keeps lawn care businesses busy

    Rainy weather keeps lawn care businesses busy

    Wednesday, July 26 2017 7:53 AM EDT2017-07-26 11:53:28 GMT
    Keeping the grass cut is keeping people busy in southwest Georgia (Source: WALB)Keeping the grass cut is keeping people busy in southwest Georgia (Source: WALB)

    Wet weather in southwest Georgia is making the grass grow back quickly creating a spike in calls to lawn care businesses. 

    More >>

    Wet weather in southwest Georgia is making the grass grow back quickly creating a spike in calls to lawn care businesses. 

    More >>
  • Changes coming to YMCA after school programs

    Changes coming to YMCA after school programs

    Wednesday, July 26 2017 7:21 AM EDT2017-07-26 11:21:25 GMT
    The Y  (Source: WALB)The Y (Source: WALB)

    The YMCA is offering some new after school programs this year after the 21st Century grant ended.

    More >>

    The YMCA is offering some new after school programs this year after the 21st Century grant ended.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly