Fire closes McDonalds for a few hours - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Fire closes McDonalds for a few hours

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Today's the day for News on the Road!

    Today's the day for News on the Road!

    Thursday, April 17 2014 5:27 PM EDT2014-04-17 21:27:58 GMT
    WALB News 10 is hitting the road for our 60th anniversary. You might remember this photo from 2004. Yolanda, Dawn, and Ben having fun with the Ladies of the Red Hat Society in Tifton for WALB's 50thMore >>
    WALB News 10 is hitting the road for our 60th anniversary. You might remember this photo from 2004. Yolanda, Dawn, and Ben having fun with the Ladies of the Red Hat Society in Tifton.More >>
  • Dougherty Sheriff featured tonight on 'Beyond Scared Straight'

    Dougherty Sheriff featured tonight on 'Beyond Scared Straight'

    Thursday, April 17 2014 5:25 PM EDT2014-04-17 21:25:53 GMT
    The Dougherty County Sheriff's Office youth intervention program will be featured on national television for a second time tomorrow.More >>
    The Dougherty County Sheriff's Office youth intervention program will be featured on national television for a second time.More >>
  • Bank robbery update

    Bank robbery update

    Thursday, April 17 2014 5:15 PM EDT2014-04-17 21:15:13 GMT
    A suspected bank robber remains in the Coffee County Jail on a probation violation warrant as the FBI and Douglas Police continue to work on charges.   We know investigators confiscated a shotgun whenMore >>
    A suspected bank robber remains in the Coffee County Jail on a probation violation warrant as the FBI and Douglas Police continue to work on charges.  More >>

By Jim Wallace - bio | email

ALBANY, GA (WALB) –An early morning fire at the McDonald's on North Slappey was extinguished with no damage to the building. Albany's Fire Chief says strict city fire codes prevent serious restaurant fires.

An electrical short in a deep frier caused the grease fire just before 6 AM.

Employees used fire extinguishers before the automated fire suppression system over the kitchen went off. Chief James Carswell says some restaurant owners complain about having to buy the required systems, but he says they protect businesses, employees, and customers.

Carswell said  "It's an expense to the business. It's one of those things hopefully they will never use, but it always has to be there, and it has to be maintained."

McDonald's cleaned the restaurant. It was inspected by health department officials and was open for business again by 10:30.

©2010 WALB News. All rights reserved.   Feedback

Powered by WorldNow