Dougherty Co. family burned out - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Dougherty Co. family burned out

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Team USA track star killed in crash

    Team USA track star killed in crash

    Monday, July 28 2014 9:32 AM EDT2014-07-28 13:32:04 GMT
    Track and field field star killed after semi slammed into a stalled car on I-75 in Cordele.More >>
    Track and field field star killed after semi slammed into a stalled car on I-75 in Cordele.More >>
  • PCA faces judge Monday for salmonella outbreak

    PCA faces judge Monday for salmonella outbreak

    Monday, July 28 2014 8:45 AM EDT2014-07-28 12:45:34 GMT
     Happening today jury selection set to get underway in one of the largest food recall cases in our nation's history. It comes nearly 5 years after a deadly salmonella outbreak was linked to a south Georgia peanut manufacture.More >>
     Happening today jury selection set to get underway in one of the largest food recall cases in our nation's history. It comes nearly 5 years after a deadly salmonella outbreak was linked to a south Georgia peanut manufacture.More >>
  • UPDATE: Police search for man who shot up two vehicles

    UPDATE: Police search for man who shot up two vehicles

    Sunday, July 27 2014 11:38 PM EDT2014-07-28 03:38:04 GMT
    Albany police say several shots were fired into an unoccupied vehicle Sunday evening at a restaurant parking lot.More >>
    Albany police say several shots were fired into an unoccupied vehicle Sunday evening at a restaurant parking lot.More >>

By Jim Wallace - bio | email

ALBANY, GA (WALB) – The couple saw flames shooting out of their ceiling vents as they watched the Super Bowl Sunday night.

Firefighters say an electrical problem in the ceiling near their gas fireplace sparked the blaze at Roger and Annette Oliver's home on Torrey Pine Lane about 7:00 Sunday night.

Mr. Oliver grabbed a water hose and started fighting the fire.

"I looked up and flames were coming out of that right in front of the fireplace. He was trying to put water on it," said Annette Oliver. "He was standing up there and the ceiling feel in on him."

Oliver was not injured, but most of the home sustained fire, smoke, and water damage.

The Olivers are staying with family while they clean up the mess.

 

©2010 WALB News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.  Feedback