Smoke alarm saves family from fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Smoke alarm saves family from fire

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Woman severely beaten

    Woman severely beaten

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 11:24 AM EDT2014-07-30 15:24:47 GMT
    The Georgia Bureau of Investigation says a 38-year-old woman was found badly injured in a car on Stewart Road around 9:15 p.m. Tuesday.More >>
    The Georgia Bureau of Investigation says a 38-year-old woman was found badly injured in a car on Stewart Road around 9:15 p.m. Tuesday.More >>
  • Albany robbery, shooting suspect caught in Macon

    Albany robbery, shooting suspect caught in Macon

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 11:15 AM EDT2014-07-30 15:15:00 GMT
    An Albany man wanted for shooting and robbing an East Albany man has been arrested in Macon.More >>
    An Albany man wanted for shooting and robbing an East Albany man has been arrested in Macon.More >>
  • Missing Alzheimer's patient found safe

    Missing Alzheimer's patient found safe

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 10:20 AM EDT2014-07-30 14:20:28 GMT
    71-year-old Ronald Sutton Hausman was last seen around 10 o'clock Tuesday night leaving his home in the 1700 block of Doug Lane, and was recovered in that vicinity.More >>
    71-year-old Ronald Sutton Hausman was last seen around 10 o'clock Tuesday night leaving his home in the 1700 block of Doug Lane, and was recovered in that vicinity.More >>

By Tayleigh Davis - bio | email

ALBANY, GA (WALB) -  A fire in Worth County has ruined one family's home. Thanks to their smoke alarm, everyone got out of the home safely.

Mary Francis and Charlie Dassie are helpless after a fire destroyed most of the belongings inside their home.

This is the first time Mary Francis has seen her home since the fire started in the bedroom around 3:00 in the afternoon.

"I said let me check the house alarm which went off and I'm thinking it's not burning," Mary Francis said.

She was on the phone in her living room and walked into her bedroom. She opened her closet door to see flames spilling out.

Firefighters suspect it started from an electrical box on the wall nearby. Her husband was at work when he received the call his house was on fire.

"I got here and smoke was coming out the top and side,"Dassie said. "It happens to other people but it doesn't hurt until it happens to you."

Mary Francis, her daughter and granddaughter made it out, but she worried her pets would not. Her dog lacy escaped, and Muffin was the last of her cats to make it out.

"That's when my tears dried up because that's when I knew all my animals were out.

Even though the Dassies lost most everything, they're grateful to walk away knowing they still have their family.

The Dassies do have insurance. If anyone would like to help, they may call 229-777-9640. They plan to stay with family for now.

©2009 WALB News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.  Feedback