Water search resumes for Lee Co. woman - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Water search resumes for Lee Co. woman

By Jennifer Emert - bio | email

ALBANY, GA (WALB) –  The search resumed for a Lee County woman missing since Christmas Eve.

There's been no sign of 77-year old Fannie Corley since her car was found on the Jefferson Street Bridge over Lake Chehaw. Two weeks ago, crews called off the daily searches.

Wednesday firefighters hoped a break in the weather might provide some clues. Firefighters took advantage of warmer temperatures hoping that a change in water temperature might be just what they need to give the Corley family closure. When searchers were in the water two weeks ago the conditions were much different.

Rescue crews from the Albany Fire Department took advantage of Wednesday's 60 degree weather to search Lake Chehaw again for Fannie Corley. The conditions are a drastic change from the 30 degree temperatures during the last search.

"The colder the water is, determines the length of time," said Battalion Chief Marty Leverett.

With more boaters on Lake Chehaw, they're reminding everyone to keep a watchful eye near the water's edge.

"We're asking all the boaters if you're out here in this area to be aware, search for us, and help us because every eye counts," said Leverett.

It's been nearly a month since Corley vanished, leaving her car on the Jefferson Street Bridge and her family with questions.

"My grandmother was one of the strongest, kindest, loving women that I've ever known in my life and she instilled that in her children and grandchildren and great grand children and that will live on for many, many years," said Amanda Corley Holt, Fannie's granddaughter.

They're grateful for all the volunteers who've help search for Corley and offered prayers.

"When you go through a tragedy, you really realize there are still great people in this world and that's what helps you get by," said Corley-Holt.

They're trying to get back to their daily routine with the hope that they'll soon have some closure. Firefighters say ideally they'd like the water temperatures to warm up to the mid-70's, but that could take awhile.

More rain expected in the next day again could hurt the search effort. They say if a boater spots something, they should immediately stop, mark the spot and call police or 911.

Corley was battling cancer. Initially crews searched for six days using boats, divers, and cadaver dogs. They also flew a helicopter near the wooded area between Lover's Lane and Philema Road but found no trace of her.

©2010 WALB News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.  Feedback

Powered by Frankly