Liberty House business office catches fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Liberty House business office catches fire

Posted: Updated:

By Jim Wallace - bio | email

ALBANY, GA (WALB) –  The business office for a battered women's shelter was heavily damaged by fire Sunday, but the shelter itself was not affected.

Firefighters say an electrical short in the basement of the Liberty House's office on Pine Avenue caused the fire.

Smoke poured out of the windows shortly after one o'clock Sunday. The fire raced up the interior of the walls and damaged all three levels.

The offices and computers are ruined, many of the floors too damaged to walk on, and the basement full of water. The shelter that serves 17 counties is asking the community for help.

"We're just going to do the best we can and take it one day at a time. If there's anyone out there that has space for us, we could use it. Until this building is habitable, if it will be habitable again," said Liberty House Executive Director Silke Deely.

The Liberty House business office phones are down, but their crisis line service is still operational. If you want to help, you can call 229-439-7065.

 

©2010 WALB News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.  Feedback

Powered by WorldNow