Fatal fire in Fitzgerald - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Fatal fire in Fitzgerald

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Saturday, April 19 2014 11:54 PM EDT2014-04-20 03:54:50 GMT
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
  • Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:59 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:59:05 GMT
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South GeorgiaMore >>
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South Georgia Technical College.More >>
  • Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:32 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:32:11 GMT
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. He says he's had the siding redone several times.More >>
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. More >>

March 17, 2003

Fitzgerald had it's first fatal fire in more than a decade this morning.  A woman believed to be in her mid-60s died inside this house on South Gordon Street. She was found on a living room couch. Neighbors spotted the fire around 5 a.m.

"Got here and the fire was in the trees, running down house, and there wasn't anything we could do, were trying to get into building and get her out," Fire Chief Roger Coleman said. 

Police have not been able to track down the woman's family. They think the fire might have been caused by a cigarette.

posted at 6:56 p.m. by dave.d'marko@walb.com

Powered by WorldNow