Haitian ASU student awaits word from family - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Haitian ASU student awaits word from family

By Tayleigh Davis - bio | email

ALBANY, GA (WALB) - A Haitian man who's studying at Albany State University nervously waits  for word from his family.

He hasn't been able to reach his parents and cousins in Haiti since the quake.

Herns Mesamours says he's tried to call and e-mail his family time after time. Since no form of communication works in Haiti, he has no way of knowing if his family is dead or alive.

Mesamours moved to the United states in 2007. In the mix of his studies, he never dreamed he'd have to worry about his family being part of one the worst natural disasters Haitians have experienced.

"A lot of people try to call family in Haiti," Mesamours said. "Haiti only has one station radio working in Haiti-only one."

Mesamours used to talk to his mom and dad every week.He says he's lucky to have his wife and five-year-old who live with him in Albany, but he can't help but think about what his parents have lost. He says they're hard workers who always cared for other people.

His mother sold items on the streets of Port-au-Prince which are now full of disaster and confusion.

"It's a really bad situation and I don't think in one or two years they will fix something," Mesamours said. 

His family grew up with very little but he says he misses his parents and cousins. He hopes his niece will come out alive similar to a man's niece crews rescued underneath rubble.

"I can do nothing but I have to pray for the nation and family to see what we can do," Mesamours said.

He'll do all he can to find out if his family's condition. Even before this disaster, Haiti was one of the world's poorest countries. Mesamours plans to use his management degree to help Haiti's economy grow.

Mesamours plans to return to Haiti in a few years to put his education to use.

©2009 WALB News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.  Feedback

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:37 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:37:43 GMT
    The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>
  • Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:26 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:26:50 GMT
    Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>
  • Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Monday, July 24 2017 3:48 PM EDT2017-07-24 19:48:41 GMT
    Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly