Hudson Malone residents back in -, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Hudson Malone residents back in

By Karen Cohilas - bio | email

ALBANY, GA (WALB) – All residents who were displaced by a fire at a housing unit in Albany last month are now back home.

On December 14th, a kitchen fire started on the four floor of the building. The fire was quickly put out by a sprinkler system and the Albany fire department, but smoke and water damage caused major problems in the building.

28 apartments had to be repaired, leaving some residents out for several weeks. Tonight, all the residents who were evacuated are back home.

Housing Authority Director Dan McCarthy said, "Our residents, bless their hearts, were very patient, for being disrupted as it was, particularly during the Christmas holidays. They wanted to get back in as soon as they could, but they understood and I think the way we went ensured that everybody got back into a safe environment."

The clean up, while quick, was also very costly, about $150,000. Two of the apartments are still being repaired, but there were enough vacancies throughout the building to re-locate the residents of those apartments.

©2010 WALB News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.  Feedback

Powered by Frankly