Newly-bought vehicle catches fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Newly-bought vehicle catches fire

Posted: Updated:

By Christian Jennings - bio | email

ALBANY,  GA (WALB) –  An Albany man had a very close call Friday. A car he just bought caught fire while he was driving it on the Liberty Expressway.

James Hatcher works at McDonalds Used Car lot in Albany. He bought the Camouflage 1987 Bronco Thursday night at the Albany Auction. As he was driving it to the car lot, it started smoking on the bypass.

He pulled over to check under the hood and realized it was on fire.

"It was burning so I went ahead and closed the hood and closed the doors and sealed everything up to slow it down and keep the grass from getting on fire you know. It slowed it down enough to keep it from being too bad but it's a total disaster as you can see," said Hatcher.

Hatcher got is OK. Albany Firefighters quickly put out the fire. They don't know how it started but say it was probably an electrical short or possibly a fuel combustion problem.

 

©2010 WALB News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.  Feedback