Tuesday, May 21 2013 12:03 AM EDT2013-05-21 04:03:02 GMT
Paramedics tell us they're amazed no one was seriously hurt in a rush hour crash just outside Albany Monday evening. The driver of a pickup truck lost control on Philema Road just before 5:00. The truckMore >>
The driver of a pickup truck and his passenger walk away from the mangled wreckage after a crash.More >>
Tuesday, May 21 2013 12:02 AM EDT2013-05-21 04:02:59 GMT
An unusual wreck on Albany's bypass Monday night left the highway littered with yard debris. About 9:30, a car collided with a trailer that was hauling tree limbs on the Liberty Expressway between theMore >>
Wrecked cars and yard debris slow traffic on Albany's bypass.More >>
Monday, May 20 2013 11:45 PM EDT2013-05-21 03:45:07 GMT
Moultrie Police tell us they have the accused triggerman in a shooting in custody after two weeks on the run. Police arrested 19-year-old Darren Huntley over the weekend in Waycross. 22-year-old DominiqueMore >>
Moultrie Police tell us they have the accused triggerman in a shooting in custody after two weeks on the run.More >>
Monday, May 20 2013 11:37 PM EDT2013-05-21 03:37:21 GMT
Students at a South Georgia University are working together to make it into the workforce. Nursing students at Georgia Southwestern asked business students to help them prepare for their job searches. HumanMore >>
Students at a South Georgia University are working together to make it into the workforce.More >>
Monday, May 20 2013 11:28 PM EDT2013-05-21 03:28:47 GMT
A lot of South Georgians are all too familiar with the damage a tornado can do. An EF-3 tornado roared through Americus six years ago. It killed two people and destroyed Sumter Regional Hospital andMore >>
A lot of South Georgians are all too familiar with the damage a tornado can do.More >>
ALBANY, GA (WALB) – A deadly fire in Radium Springs, a woman died after a cigarette caught her recliner on fire. Firefighters found 74-year-old Audrey Baty on a bedroom floor of her home on Radium Springs Road just before 2:00 PM Thursday.
Paramedics performed CPR and rushed her to a hospital where she was later pronounced dead.
Firefighters assisted paramedics as they performed CPR on Baty and rushed her to the hospital.
Neighbor Frank Blythe saw the firefighters when they arrived at the home, and quickly told them someone may be inside. He said, "I was hoping she wasn't in there. I was hoping she was gone, but her vehicle is right there."
Battalion Chief Keith Ambrose says they got word she was inside while in route to the fire. He said, "That was our priority was rescue when we got word that someone may be trapped."
It's the kind of call firefighters train for, but never want to put into practice. "Empty houses are much better."
Unfortunately, Baty was inside and unseen. Ambrose said, "Heavy smoke showing, flames showing to the left as they went in. They went in and searched the house, found the body and got her out."
Baty wasn't burned by the fire, but thick, hot black smoke filled the home and her lungs. She died of smoke inhalation.
Blythe says she'll be missed. "Just a real nice lady. Real nice. Do anything in the world for you."
Investigators say a cigarette caught a recliner on fire. Baty was found in a bedroom, trapped behind a door, as if she were trying to escape the house.
Firefighters believe Baty owned a cat, but they haven't seen the pet so far. Mrs. Baty lived in the house for many years.
One of her sons is a Dougherty County deputy sheriff.
News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.Feedback