Beware of carbon monoxide risk - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Beware of carbon monoxide risk

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Sylvester library shows off new renovations

    Sylvester library shows off new renovations

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:54 PM EDT2014-09-03 02:54:16 GMT
    Leigh Wiley, Library DirectorLeigh Wiley, Library Director
    The renovated library in Sylvester shows off its new look. The Margaret Jones Public Library hosted an open house Tuesday evening.More >>
    The renovated library in Sylvester shows off its new look. The Margaret Jones Public Library hosted an open house Tuesday evening.More >>
  • RiverQuarium prepares to celebrate 10th anniversary

    RiverQuarium prepares to celebrate 10th anniversary

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:49 PM EDT2014-09-03 02:49:03 GMT
    Vicki Churchman, Manager of Member and Volunteer ServicesVicki Churchman, Manager of Member and Volunteer Services
    The Flint Riverquarium is preparing to celebrate a big milestone, its 10th anniversary.On Friday and Saturday visitors can see a special portable butterfly exhibit. More >>
    The Flint Riverquarium is preparing to celebrate a big milestone, its 10th anniversary.On Friday and Saturday visitors can see a special portable butterfly exhibit. More >>
  • Albany VA Clinic looking for volunteer drivers

    Albany VA Clinic looking for volunteer drivers

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:43 PM EDT2014-09-03 02:43:44 GMT
    The Albany VA Clinic needs volunteers.

    The Carl Vinson VA Medical Center in Dublin is looking for drivers to sign up to help elderly veterans get to their appointments at the new Albany Clinic at the Marine Base.

    More >>
    The Albany VA Clinic needs volunteers.

    The Carl Vinson VA Medical Center in Dublin is looking for drivers to sign up to help elderly veterans get to their appointments at the new Albany Clinic at the Marine Base.

    More >>

By LeiLani Golden - bio | email

ALBANY, GA (WALB) –   With heaters running nearly around the clock, the danger for carbon monoxide poisoning rises.

All fuel-burning heat sources produce carbon monoxide, so it's important to have proper ventilation on all gas heaters, fireplaces and other non-electric heating sources.

What makes carbon monoxide so deadly is that it's colorless and odorless and you often don't even know you're being poisoned. 

Emergency Medical workers say that's why carbon monoxide detectors are so important.  

"Some of the first signs of symptoms you're gonna see is dizziness, headaches, nausea, vomiting, lethargy. If any of that...bright red, cherry red skin...you need to immediately get outside of the residence if you're inside a residence or building. Get some fresh air and call EMS," said EMT Phillip Jackson.

It's also a good time to make sure you have working smoke detectors in your home, especially if you're using a fireplace as a heat source.

 

©2010 WALB News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.  Feedback