Be careful using a space heater - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Be careful using a space heater

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Americus runner back in Boston

    Americus runner back in Boston

    Monday, April 21 2014 4:39 AM EDT2014-04-21 08:39:51 GMT
    One of the thousands of runners participating in the marathon today comes from Southwest Georgia, Charlene Pennymon. She's returning to Boston to win another title but also give hope to others. @ ThisMore >>
    One of the thousands of runners participating in the marathon today comes from Southwest Georgia, Charlene Pennymon. She's returning to Boston to win another title but also give hope to others. More >>
  • Thomasville woman celebrates 100th Birthday

    Thomasville woman celebrates 100th Birthday

    Sunday, April 20 2014 5:57 PM EDT2014-04-20 21:57:34 GMT
    A Thomasville woman is celebrating her 100th birthday. Irene Manning celebrates her 100th Birthday today. Friends and family threw her a birthday party at Cherokee Lake in Thomasville. Her grandson saysMore >>
    A Thomasville woman is celebrating her 100th birthday. Irene Manning celebrates her 100th Birthday today. Friends and family threw her a birthday party at Cherokee Lake in Thomasville. Her grandson saysMore >>
  • Easter Bunny visits hospitalized children

    Easter Bunny visits hospitalized children

    Sunday, April 20 2014 5:52 PM EDT2014-04-20 21:52:00 GMT
    The Easter Bunny made an appearance at Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital today.   The Dougherty County Police Department partnered with the Easter Bunny Foundation to deliver stuffed Easter Bunnies to childrenMore >>
    The Easter Bunny made an appearance at Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital today.   The Dougherty County Police Department partnered with the Easter Bunny Foundation to deliver stuffed Easter Bunnies to childrenMore >>

By Karen Cohilas - bio | email

ALBANY, GA (WALB) –  Space heaters are a convenient way to stay warm, but they're extremely dangerous.

And they're even more dangerous because we've had so many cold, dry days in a row.

Albany's fire chief says moisture has likely been sapped from fabrics and other combustibles, making them more vulnerable and able to catch fire.

"We want people to be extremely careful with any kind of heat source, but especially space heaters, because inherently, they have the most dangers when you bring them inside the house," said Albany Chief James Carswell.

If you must use space heaters, it's important to use those that cut off when tipped over.

Also, make sure you turn them off when you leave the house and don't put them near combustibles.

 

©2009 WALB News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.  Feedback

Powered by WorldNow