Cat blamed for house fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Cat blamed for house fire

Posted: Updated:

By Jim Wallace - bio | email

ALBANY, GA (WALB) –  An Albany woman is cleaning up after a fire in her home caused by a cat.

Fire investigators say a cat kept in the bedroom of Lemita Brooks' apartment on Oak Street knocked over a lamp Friday night.

That ignited a pile of clothes. Brooks was not home, but nine cats were inside. Only Tree, the cat investigators say started the fire, was killed.

The home sustained $20,000 in damage, but Brooks says she only cares about her pets.

 "I'm hurt, but I'm also very grateful to God that it could have been a lot worse," she said. "I would have not been able to live if all of them would have died. I was on the verge of having a heart attack because I love them just that much."

 Brooks says many of her belongings were ruined by smoke and fire.

 

©2009 WALB News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.  Feedback

Powered by WorldNow