Most residents will return to Hudson-Malone Tower - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Most residents will return to Hudson-Malone Tower

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Saturday, April 19 2014 11:54 PM EDT2014-04-20 03:54:50 GMT
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
  • Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:59 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:59:05 GMT
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South GeorgiaMore >>
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South Georgia Technical College.More >>
  • Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:32 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:32:11 GMT
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. He says he's had the siding redone several times.More >>
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. More >>

ALBANY, GA (WALB) -  27 people affected by a kitchen fire at Hudson Malone Tower were relocated by the Red Cross.  Most of the residents will return to their apartments tonight.

 

 

Ten people won't be able to return until damage is repaired. The Red Cross is working on helping them. 

 

Three apartments on the west side of building sustained the most smoke and water damage.

More than 200 people were forced out of their homes Monday night because of the fire.

Emergency workers rushed there late Monday afternoon and helped about 100 elderly and disabled residents out of the smoke-filled building. 

The fire moved through electrical wires from the 4th floor where the fire started, to the 5th. So electricity had to be cut. 

The residents got a meal at the SOWEGA Council on Aging senior center on Pine Avenue and stayed their until friends or relatives picked them up.


©2009 WALB News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow