Space Heater ruins family's home - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Space Heater ruins family's home

Posted: Updated:

By Tayleigh Davis - bio | email

ALBANY, GA (WALB) - Three generations of a family were burned out of their home in Moultrie. That leaves six people struggling for the Holidays. The family is taking it one day at a time after a space heater caused a fire to destroy everything inside their home. It started Saturday morning in the son's room where Jerome Davis had a space heater sitting near his bed.

Four of the six family members joined WALB news at their home today to speak about their loss. Corey McGee, Senior Pastor at Willow Grove Baptist Church represented the family.

"The community is reaching out to the family because it's a seasonal time," Pastor McGee said. "There should be joy in a family especially with children and we're reaching out to give them clothing, shelter, food and whatever else they need because they lost everything."

The inside of the house reeked of smoke and the fire left the living room, laundry room, bathroom, bedrooms, and hallway charred. The family wasn't able to salvage most of their clothes, furniture, or valuables inside.

The Red Cross provided food and shelter for the family after the incident. Family members say the Community Action Council of Southwest Georgia will provide them with temporary housing until they can get back on their feet.

If you'd like to make donations you can call Sandra Lewis at 229-883-0712. You may also call Willow Grove Baptist Church at 229-985-5741. You may also mail donations to the family's mother at:

Attn: Mae butler

        P.O. Box 2434

       Moultrie GA 31776


©2009 WALB News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.  Feedback