Firefighters say cigarette caused house fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Firefighters say cigarette caused house fire

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Saturday, April 19 2014 11:54 PM EDT2014-04-20 03:54:50 GMT
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
  • Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:59 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:59:05 GMT
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South GeorgiaMore >>
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South Georgia Technical College.More >>
  • Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:32 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:32:11 GMT
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. He says he's had the siding redone several times.More >>
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. More >>

By  Stephanie Springer  - bio | email

ALBANY, GA (WALB) –Albany firefighters think a cigarette caused a mobile home fire this morning.

Tuesday morning firefighters were called to Sylvester Road where a home in a mobile home park caught on fire.

It only took firefighters a few minutes to put the fire out.

They say an elderly woman living at the home lit a cigarette and forgot she left it on the couch.

"My advice to people is stop smoking and if you are going to smoke stop smoking inside, come outside have a designated area so when you finish smoking you can put it out ," said Captain Robert Taylor with the Albany Fire Department.

Firefighters say the living room has severe fire damage and smoke damage is throughout the house but it's not a complete loss.

©2009 WALB News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.  Feedback

Powered by WorldNow