Family burned out of home a second time - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Family burned out of home a second time

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Albany industries awarded by EDC

    Albany industries awarded by EDC

    Wednesday, April 16 2014 12:21 PM EDT2014-04-16 16:21:28 GMT
    The Albany-Dougherty Economic Development Commission recognized existing industries Coats & Clark, Outdoor Network, Better Brands of South Georgia, and Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital for their globalMore >>
    Coats & Clark, Outdoor Network, Better Brands of South Georgia, and Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital were all recognized....More >>
  • Idling car stolen, quickly recovered

    Idling car stolen, quickly recovered

    Wednesday, April 16 2014 11:21 AM EDT2014-04-16 15:21:50 GMT
    It was cold enough this morning that Owen Griffin decided to let his car warm up, so he left it idling at his Waverly Avenue home about 10:00AM.   He looked outside to see someone driving off in his KIAMore >>
    It was cold enough this morning that Owen Griffin decided to let his car warm up, so he left it idling at his Waverly Avenue home about 10:00AM.   He looked outside to see someone driving off in his KIA Rio a short time later.More >>
  • DCSS transformation infrastructure project kicks off

    DCSS transformation infrastructure project kicks off

    Wednesday, April 16 2014 7:17 AM EDT2014-04-16 11:17:13 GMT
    The Dougherty County School System's technology infrastructure will get a major overhaul before next school year.      The information technology department kicked off the project with an informationalMore >>
    The Dougherty County School System's technology infrastructure will get a major overhaul before next school year.      The information technology department kicked off the project with an informationalMore >>

By Jade Bulecza - bio | email

SPARKS, GA (WALB) - A south Georgia family was burned out of their home Sunday. It's the second time it's happened to this family in less than a year.

The latest fire happened at a mobile home in Sparks where three generations of the family lived together.

Charred sandwiches are still on a kitchen table in a Sparks mobile home after a fire spread through the home Sunday night.

 "I said maybe it's just the air but then it started to get worse and then it started to smell like fire," said Edwin Jones, who was home at the time.

15-year-old Edwin Jones made a few snacks for his siblings while his mother Bonita drove to Valdosta to pick up her daughter.

"Before they (firefighters) got out here there was a big spark that just popped in the back of the house," said Jones.

Bonita Jones rushed back to Sparks after her son called her and 911.

"I'm really in a depression stage right about now," said Bonita.

The Sparks Fire Chief says at this point it's difficult to determine why the fire happened.

"It could be electrical or it could be a flaw in the dryer," said Chief Joe Dent, Sparks Fire Dept.  "It's hard to say.  I think the dryer was vented up under the trailer."

Whatever the cause may be, this is the second fire in less than a year Bonita Jones and her family have been through. The first one occurred at a West Adair Street home in Valdosta.

Jones found out her house was on fire as she and her family returned home from the Christmas parade.

In a bedroom, a dresser drawer caught fire, electronic items like cell phones and chargers were found melted. There wasn't any kind of electrical outlet behind the dresser.

 "I would've never thought this would happen twice to anybody in that length of time," said Bonita.

Since Sunday the family has been staying at the Days Inn in Adel.

Wednesday their landlord is allowing the family to move into another mobile home in Sparks, one street over.


©2009 WALB News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.  Feedback

Powered by WorldNow