Cordele children burned in fire - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Cordele children burned in fire

By Karen Cohilas - bio | email

ALBANY, GA (WALB) -  Four children were badly burned in an apartment fire over the weekend.   The kids ranged in age from 18-months to five years.   They were supposed to be taking a nap, but investigators think they began playing with a lighter and ended up with serioud injuries.  

We know that all the children were taken to the Augsuta Burn Center. Two were taken by jet, one by helicopter and another by ambulance. Three of those children are in critical condition, another serious, all of them fighting to recover.  

As Felicia Roberson returned home Sunday afternoon, she was shocked to see her neighbor's apartment on fire.  "I tried to get in to help the kids out, but I couldn't because the smoke had gotten too bad. It was very hot upstairs," she said. 

And the door to the room the children were in was locked.

One of the boys was at the window screaming for help.  "He was hanging out the window and we was telling him to jump, but he couldn't because the air condition had him trapped. Everybody tried to get them out, but they couldn't."

Eugene Foreman also tried to break down the door to get to the kids. 

"A lot of people were trying to kick on the door in able to get in the room where the kids was and was not able to," he said.

Investigators believe that during nap time, one of the boys got hold of a lighter and accidentally started the fire. Foreman says everyone in Sunset Homes Apartment Complex is saddened by what has happened to the little ones. 

"You gotta understand. Anytime something like that happens, it's tragic." 18-month-old Demetrius Waters, 2-year old Jakeveon Brown and 3-year-old Larry Bass are all still in critical condition. 5-year-old Deontaevious Stubbins is in serious condition.

Cordele police believe all of the children will recover and that doctors expect to take the three youngest children off ventilators this week. They hope to release the five year old from the hospital within the next couple of days.

One of the fathers, Larry Bass, was at home at the time of the fire. Neighbors tell us when he heard them scream for help, he tried to get to them, but wasn't able to. That's when he ran for help.  

©2009 WALB News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.  Feedback

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Hot weather can drain life from car batteries

    Hot weather can drain life from car batteries

    Monday, September 25 2017 7:50 AM EDT2017-09-25 11:50:16 GMT
    Car mechanics urge drivers to do routine maintenance under the hood as we go into fall (Source: WALB)Car mechanics urge drivers to do routine maintenance under the hood as we go into fall (Source: WALB)

    Mechanic Tom Gieryic said many people think battery issues arise from cold, frigid weather, but the summer heat can also drain a car battery.

    More >>

    Mechanic Tom Gieryic said many people think battery issues arise from cold, frigid weather, but the summer heat can also drain a car battery.

    More >>
  • Albany State to host open house on October 7

    Albany State to host open house on October 7

    Monday, September 25 2017 7:46 AM EDT2017-09-25 11:46:40 GMT
    (Source: WALB)(Source: WALB)

    Albany State University officials are focusing on boosting enrollment numbers by recruiting local students. 

    More >>

    Albany State University officials are focusing on boosting enrollment numbers by recruiting local students. 

    More >>
  • News to know for Monday

    News to know for Monday

    Monday, September 25 2017 4:17 AM EDT2017-09-25 08:17:58 GMT
    Fritz Farm, a wedding venue in Cordele, will host a night of beer, burgers, and brats, called the "Hurricane Hoedown," on September 30. (Source: WALB)Fritz Farm, a wedding venue in Cordele, will host a night of beer, burgers, and brats, called the "Hurricane Hoedown," on September 30. (Source: WALB)

    ‘Hurricane Hoedown’ to help families and first responders affected by Hurricanes Harvey and Irma, Albany Utilities is opening a centralized call center, and more.

    More >>

    ‘Hurricane Hoedown’ to help families and first responders affected by Hurricanes Harvey and Irma, Albany Utilities is opening a centralized call center, and more.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly