Cordele children burned in fire -, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Cordele children burned in fire

By Karen Cohilas - bio | email

ALBANY, GA (WALB) -  Four children were badly burned in an apartment fire over the weekend.   The kids ranged in age from 18-months to five years.   They were supposed to be taking a nap, but investigators think they began playing with a lighter and ended up with serioud injuries.  

We know that all the children were taken to the Augsuta Burn Center. Two were taken by jet, one by helicopter and another by ambulance. Three of those children are in critical condition, another serious, all of them fighting to recover.  

As Felicia Roberson returned home Sunday afternoon, she was shocked to see her neighbor's apartment on fire.  "I tried to get in to help the kids out, but I couldn't because the smoke had gotten too bad. It was very hot upstairs," she said. 

And the door to the room the children were in was locked.

One of the boys was at the window screaming for help.  "He was hanging out the window and we was telling him to jump, but he couldn't because the air condition had him trapped. Everybody tried to get them out, but they couldn't."

Eugene Foreman also tried to break down the door to get to the kids. 

"A lot of people were trying to kick on the door in able to get in the room where the kids was and was not able to," he said.

Investigators believe that during nap time, one of the boys got hold of a lighter and accidentally started the fire. Foreman says everyone in Sunset Homes Apartment Complex is saddened by what has happened to the little ones. 

"You gotta understand. Anytime something like that happens, it's tragic." 18-month-old Demetrius Waters, 2-year old Jakeveon Brown and 3-year-old Larry Bass are all still in critical condition. 5-year-old Deontaevious Stubbins is in serious condition.

Cordele police believe all of the children will recover and that doctors expect to take the three youngest children off ventilators this week. They hope to release the five year old from the hospital within the next couple of days.

One of the fathers, Larry Bass, was at home at the time of the fire. Neighbors tell us when he heard them scream for help, he tried to get to them, but wasn't able to. That's when he ran for help.  

©2009 WALB News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.  Feedback

Powered by Frankly