Family reacts to one-year-old-girl who died in house fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Family reacts to one-year-old-girl who died in house fire

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Worth Co. hosts open house

    Worth Co. hosts open house

    Monday, July 28 2014 11:24 PM EDT2014-07-29 03:24:37 GMT
    It's already back to school time for some south Georgia students. Classes start tomorrow in Worth County.On Monday afternoon, all the schools held open houses for parents and students.At Worth County elementary, families got to met the teachers and get acquainted with the school.The Principal says the staff is ready, and parents told us they appreciated the open house."We are just going to keep going strong with things that we have done in the past, we had a very successful school year last y...More >>
    It's already back to school time for some south Georgia students. Classes start tomorrow in Worth County.On Monday afternoon, all the schools held open houses for parents and students.At Worth County elementary, families got to met the teachers and get acquainted with the school.The Principal says the staff is ready, and parents told us they appreciated the open house."We are just going to keep going strong with things that we have done in the past, we had a very successful school year last y...More >>
  • Lee Co. Woman speaks out about scary home invasion

    Lee Co. Woman speaks out about scary home invasion

    Monday, July 28 2014 11:20 PM EDT2014-07-29 03:20:11 GMT
    A Lee County woman says she'll think twice before opening her front door after a frightening home invasion.Tonya Stewart says Friday night a group of young people rushed inside her home and beat her up.Her husband ran to help. In the meantime, her 2-year-old niece suffered a busted lip.Stewart ended up with bruises and a black eye.“I just felt like my house was in danger and my life was in danger. I felt like I was gonna be killed or someone in my house was gonna be killed. I had a little gir...More >>
    A Lee County woman says she'll think twice before opening her front door after a frightening home invasion.Tonya Stewart says Friday night a group of young people rushed inside her home and beat her up.Her husband ran to help. In the meantime, her 2-year-old niece suffered a busted lip.Stewart ended up with bruises and a black eye.“I just felt like my house was in danger and my life was in danger. I felt like I was gonna be killed or someone in my house was gonna be killed. I had a little gir...More >>
  • Football coaches stress hydration as South Georgia heats up

    Football coaches stress hydration as South Georgia heats up

    Monday, July 28 2014 11:12 PM EDT2014-07-29 03:12:23 GMT
    Football is an intense, and grueling collision sport, and when South Georgia heats up, practice is even more stressful on the body."We don't wanna lose a kid because of the fact they are not hydrating themselves," says Monroe Head Coach Charles Truitt.That's why coaches stress the importance of staying hydrated on and off the field."We preach when they get home at night after football practice, to hydrate themselves and then we they get up in the morning hydrate themselves," says Truitt.After...More >>
    Football is an intense, and grueling collision sport, and when South Georgia heats up, practice is even more stressful on the body."We don't wanna lose a kid because of the fact they are not hydrating themselves," says Monroe Head Coach Charles Truitt.That's why coaches stress the importance of staying hydrated on and off the field."We preach when they get home at night after football practice, to hydrate themselves and then we they get up in the morning hydrate themselves," says Truitt.After...More >>

By Tayleigh Davis - bio | email

ALBANY, GA (WALB) - An Albany family has to cope with another emotional blow after a fire has claimed the life of a second child.

One-year-old Ja'el Fenn has passed away from third and fourth degree burns. Her three-year-old brother Jeremiah also died last month from injuries received in the flash fire.

Vapors from a gas can in the utility room are to blame for the tragedy. Ja'el's uncle, Jame Fenn, has a three year old daughter. When he heard the news, all he could think about was his own little girl. He thought his neice would recover but the burns caused complications with her heart and liver.

" It definitely doesn't seem real and it doesn't seem fair but nobody knows what God's plans are,"he said.

Ja'el's two-year-old brother Jeremiah Jr. died from injuries received in the same fire. Their aunt Estella said Jeremiah tried to save his little sister.

" He covered her and he protected her during the fire, she noted. "He put his body over her body to cover her so at least we had a chance to have her a little longer."

Estella said her daughter Alex and Ja'el were almost the same age and they loved to play together.

" She (Alex) still says we have to pray for Jeramiah, we have to pray for Ja'el."

Jared Fenn, who enjoyed babysitting the two has images of his cousin's severe burns etched in his mind.

" I wanted to cry but I was trying to hold it in," he said. "I didn't know how bad the burn was until we actually went up there to Augusta and that right there really made me emotional."

The family said Ja'el and Jeremiah's parents probably won't come back to their house in Albany because the memory of that night is just too tough.

Their mom, Jessica was injured in the fire too. Her family said she suffered burns to her hand and arms but she's expected to be okay.

For now, Ja'el's family will never forget the energetic duo who always brought joy to family events.

The family thanks the community for their donations, phone calls,and prayers for the two children. They plan on having a memorial for Ja'el within the next week.


©2009 WALB News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.  Feedback