Sylvester Police make arrest in hit and run cold case -, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Sylvester Police make arrest in cold case

By Jim Wallace - bio | email

SYLVESTER, GA (WALB) - An arrest in a shocking South Georgia cold case. Nearly four years after a hit and run driver ran down a Sylvester woman on West Railroad Street, Sylvester Police arrest a 36-year old man for the crime.

Donna Frier suffered in a hospital for six months before she died from her injuries.

Investigators say you, the WALB News Ten's viewers, and good Police work helped them finally make an arrest. They say a story we aired in May brought several tips from people in the community, and led to Wednesday night's arrest.

37 year old Donna Frier was struck by a car October 24, 2005 while walking along West Railroad Street at night, and was dragged nearly 40 feet under the car. Frier spent more than six months in the hospital before dying May 5, 2006.

Wednesday 36 year old Aubiao Brantley was indicted by the Grand Jury and arrested, Police say after almost four years of thinking he got away with it.

Sylvester Police Chief Alfred Anderson said "I think he was surprised. I think he was totally surprised."

Sylvester Police Chief Alfred Anderson and Lead Investigator Sgt. Nathaniel Newton opened the cold case when they joined the force and learned about it from Frier's sister, Betty Jackson, who also works at the Sylvester Police Department.

Newton said "Well I first started out nobody wanted to say anything."

In May WALB ran a story about their investigation, with the Police asking for information....and they say a number of people responded.

Newton said "A lot of names came up. So I talked to a lot of people. I kept on and kept on them, and they started talking little by little."

Jackson said Brantley and her sister went to school together and were friends. She says his arrest will help them deal with the tragedy.

Jackson said "Yes it will, because we always wondered what happened. And who could have done such a thing. To hit her and leave her beside the road to die."

Brantley is charged with aggravated assault, aggravated battery, kidnapping with bodily injury, and serious bodily injury by vehicle.

Even though Investigators think that Brantley hit Frier on purpose, because she died six months after the crash, Prosecutors did not seek homicide charges.

Brantley is being held without bond in the Worth County Jail.

A reward was offered in this case. Chief Anderson says if Brantley is convicted that reward will be handed out.

Powered by Frankly