Fire destroys Hobson Street home - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Fire destroys Hobson Street home

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Bank robbery suspect denied bond

    Bank robbery suspect denied bond

    Friday, April 18 2014 11:39 AM EDT2014-04-18 15:39:51 GMT
    A suspected bank robber remains in the Coffee County Jail on a probation violation warrant as the FBI and Douglas Police continue to work on charges.   We know investigators confiscated a shotgun whenMore >>
    A suspected bank robber remains in the Coffee County Jail, after he was officially charged with bank robbery, and denied bond in court.
    More >>
  • APD renews public outreach with 'java'

    APD renews public outreach with 'java'

    Friday, April 18 2014 11:34 AM EDT2014-04-18 15:34:56 GMT
    Friday morning, APD officers provided an opportunity to get to know your neighborhood law enforcers as folks got their daily cup of 'Joe,' under the Golden Arches. The Albany Police Department joinedMore >>
    Friday morning, APD officers provided an opportunity to get to know your neighborhood law enforcers as folks got their daily cup of 'Joe,' under the Golden Arches.More >>
  • Ledo Road wreck victim identified

    Ledo Road wreck victim identified

    Friday, April 18 2014 11:23 AM EDT2014-04-18 15:23:30 GMT
    A collision on Ledo Road, near hasMore >>
    A collision on Ledo Road has killed 69-year-old Pamela Johnson, near Chili's and Walmart. It happened around 1:00 Thursday afternoon. Officials said three vehicles were involved in the crash.More >>

By Jennifer Emert - bio | email

ALBANY, GA (WALB) - An electrical short sparked a fire that destroyed an east Albany home. Firefighters were called to 914 Hobson Street around 11:00 PM Wednesday night.

A neighbor spotted flames coming through the roof and called 911. The owner wasn't home. Investigators say a short in an outlet in the carport that had recently been remodeled into a den sparked the fire. Firefighters had a hard time battling the blaze once it got into the attic.

"The problem with attic fires is they're enclosed and some of the same material that keep rain water, all those elements out makes it difficult for use to get access to water on the fire so it makes it more difficult," said Albany Fire Chief James Carswell.

Damage to the home is estimated at $90,000.


©2009 WALB News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.  Feedback

 

Powered by WorldNow