Cold weather leads to more fires - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Cold weather leads to more fires

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Saturday, April 19 2014 11:54 PM EDT2014-04-20 03:54:50 GMT
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
  • Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:59 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:59:05 GMT
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South GeorgiaMore >>
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South Georgia Technical College.More >>
  • Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:32 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:32:11 GMT
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. He says he's had the siding redone several times.More >>
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. More >>

January 22, 2003

Albany- As temperatures fall, people depend much more on heaters to keep warm. Deputy Fire Chief, James Carswell, with the Albany Fire Department, says, "Historically, as temperatures get lower, people depend on heaters, and we know fires are coming."

He says many people go wrong by using very unsafe measures just to fight off the winter chill. Carswell says, "People use everything from grills, to open ovens to space heaters for heat, which creates an enormous fire hazard."

He says it's very dangerous to leave space heaters and burning candles unattended because of the danger.

"Space heaters are not meant to heat an entire home, and you can't leave them unattended," adds Carswell.

Carswell says he hopes this year, more people will be cautious, so their homes and treasured memories, won't go up in flames.

Posted at 4:50PM by Jocelyn.Maner@walb.com

Powered by WorldNow