Gas heaters can be a fire hazard - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Gas heaters can be a fire hazard

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Man arrested for stealing tip jar

    Man arrested for stealing tip jar

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 10:34 AM EDT2014-04-23 14:34:32 GMT
    Timothy Banthongsack was arrested in the below case last night. From: Whitley-Banks, Phyllis Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 4:09 AM To: Whitley-Banks, Phyllis Subject:   22-14-008228  RobberyMore >>
    Timothy Banthongsack was arrested Tuesday evening for snatching the tip jar at Carrol's Meats on Philema Road.
    More >>
  • What you need to know before riding an ATV

    What you need to know before riding an ATV

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 9:50 AM EDT2014-04-23 13:50:06 GMT
    A safety warning following four ATV deaths in Georgia this week.      A man died in Liberty County when his 4 wheeler crashed into a tree.  A woman and her two young grandsons died in Walker County whenMore >>
    A safety warning was issued following four ATV deaths in Georgia this week.   Experts say you should not operate ATV's on public roads. You should wear proper gear such as gloves, goggles,  and most importantly a Department of Transportation helmet.More >>
  • Daycare providers face deadline

    Daycare providers face deadline

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 9:15 AM EDT2014-04-23 13:15:14 GMT
    The close of business today is the registration deadline for Bright from the Start. The Georgia Department of Early Care and Learning (DECAL) has posted application packages for new and returning providersMore >>
    The close of business today is the registration deadline for Bright from the Start. The purpose of the program is to prepare children for success in Kindergarten and later school years. Programs are offered at local public schools or through private providers of preschool services.More >>

January 20, 2003

Valdosta - A gas heater is believed to have sent a Valdosta home up in flames Sunday night. Luckily, firefighters contained the blaze, no one was injured and the home wasn't completely destroyed.

Home Depot employee James Smith says with the recent cold temperatures, gas heaters have been flying off the shelves. But if the proper safety measures aren't taken, they can be deadly.

"People let dust collect on them, furniture could be too close to the heater, or a child could lay a toy down beside it and catch on fire," said Smith. "There are a number of things could cause danger."

The most important precaution you should take is making sure smoke detectors are properly installed. A few maintenance tips can also help.

"Keep the heater clean, make sure nothing is lying around it, and make sure you don't smell gas or any unusual smells from the heater," said Smith.

You should also never leave your heater on when you're away from home. Smith says gas heaters are not dangerous, but improper use creates the hazard. But following the proper safety tips will help keep your home out of harm's way.

posted at 3:45PM by ashley.harper@walb.com

Powered by WorldNow