Box inside microwave sparks fire at LCMS - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Box inside microwave sparks fire at LCMS

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Campaign to help adults go back to college

    Campaign to help adults go back to college

    Thursday, July 31 2014 8:55 AM EDT2014-07-31 12:55:40 GMT
    Georgia officials are teaming up with the state's universities and technical colleges to get adults back in School. The campaign will help returning students with scheduling and course selection.More >>
    Georgia officials are teaming up with the state's universities and technical colleges to get adults back in School. The campaign will help returning students with scheduling and course selection.More >>
  • Missing man with Alzheimer's Disease Found

    Missing man with Alzheimer's Disease Found

    Thursday, July 31 2014 4:34 AM EDT2014-07-31 08:34:46 GMT
    Authorities in Berrien County are searching for a man with Alzheimer's Disease that has gone missing.They say John Bethea was last seen heading south on White Pond Road in Nashville at 11 a.m.More >>
    Authorities in Berrien County are searching for a man with Alzheimer's Disease that has gone missing.They say John Bethea was last seen heading south on White Pond Road in Nashville at 11 a.m.More >>
  • Albany cheerleading team could be on reality show

    Albany cheerleading team could be on reality show

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 11:42 PM EDT2014-07-31 03:42:06 GMT
    Dr. Latonya Peterson, Assistant CoachDr. Latonya Peterson, Assistant Coach
    An Albany cheerleading team could be featured on a reality show. More than 50 girls tried out to join the two time national champion Albany Elite “Tiger Paws.”More >>
    An Albany cheerleading team could be featured on a reality show. More than 50 girls tried out to join the two time national champion Albany Elite “Tiger Paws.”More >>

By Cade Fowler - bio | email

Leesburg, GA (WALB) - Fire officials in Lee County are baffled as to how a microwave fire began overnight, filling the hallways at Lee County Middle School with smoke.

Around 3 a.m., Lee County fire units responded to an alarm at LCMS but saw no signs of fire. When a key holder arrived, fire fighters encountered smoke and early on feared that flames may have spread into the ceiling.

A room-to-room search lead firefighters to an empty science classroom where they discovered the source - a microwave. Crews removed the microwave, which contained a box filled with papers and a metal tray, outside the school. A fire extinguisher was used to put out a small flare up.

Fans were brought in to blow out the lingering smoke and no damage was done to the school or classroom.

LCFD officials say they aren't calling the fire suspicious, just unusual. It's believed a short in the microwave may have caused it to turn on and ignite the contents.

No one was inside the school at the time of the fire.

 

Feedback


©2009 WALB News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.