Fire at primary school - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Fire at primary school

January 8, 2003

Camilla - A small fire at a South Georgia school a day before students return from Christmas break. Mitchell County Primary night janitor James Carswell found a janitor's closet filled with smoke and the sprinkler system running Tuesday night.

Investigators believe a chemical reaction caused the fire, but the school principal thinks a spark from construction ignited some trash. Principal, Pat McCaskill, "We've been investigating all morning. Seems to be a spark from workmen working on ceiling, we have a new addition and workmen were here yesterday. Cart left on floor, maybe a spark flew in and smoldered for a while."

The drain inside the closet kept water from spreading to the hallway. Wednesday was the first day of school since the holiday break.

posted 6:09PM by kathryn.simmons@walb.com

Powered by WorldNow