Fire breaks out at apartment complex - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Fire breaks out at apartment complex

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Thomasville woman celebrates 100th Birthday

    Thomasville woman celebrates 100th Birthday

    Sunday, April 20 2014 5:57 PM EDT2014-04-20 21:57:34 GMT
    A Thomasville woman is celebrating her 100th birthday. Irene Manning celebrates her 100th Birthday today. Friends and family threw her a birthday party at Cherokee Lake in Thomasville. Her grandson saysMore >>
    A Thomasville woman is celebrating her 100th birthday. Irene Manning celebrates her 100th Birthday today. Friends and family threw her a birthday party at Cherokee Lake in Thomasville. Her grandson saysMore >>
  • Easter Bunny visits hospitalized children

    Easter Bunny visits hospitalized children

    Sunday, April 20 2014 5:52 PM EDT2014-04-20 21:52:00 GMT
    The Easter Bunny made an appearance at Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital today.   The Dougherty County Police Department partnered with the Easter Bunny Foundation to deliver stuffed Easter Bunnies to childrenMore >>
    The Easter Bunny made an appearance at Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital today.   The Dougherty County Police Department partnered with the Easter Bunny Foundation to deliver stuffed Easter Bunnies to childrenMore >>
  • Storm clean up is underway at wildlife rehabilitation center

    Storm clean up is underway at wildlife rehabilitation center

    Sunday, April 20 2014 5:46 PM EDT2014-04-20 21:46:45 GMT
    Storm Clean up is underway at a wildlife rehabilitation center in Thomasville.   Sierra Dorpinghouse is all geared up and ready to help with clean up after Friday's storm damaged several animal cagesMore >>
    Storm Clean up is underway at a wildlife rehabilitation center in Thomasville.   Sierra Dorpinghouse is all geared up and ready to help with clean up after Friday's storm damaged several animal cagesMore >>

December 30, 2002

Albany - Several Albany residents will start the new year homeless, after a fire swept through their apartment complex Monday morning. The fire at Bethel Housing Complex on Swift Street started around 10:00AM.

Eugenia Robinson and her three children were watching television while a maintenance man worked on a water problem in their bathroom. Robinson doesn't know how the fire started, but she overheard the maintenance man call for help on his walkie-talkie. She grabbed her children and immediately ran from the apartment.

When firefighters arrived, Robinson's apartment and an adjacent unit were on fire. It took about 15 firefighters to extinguish the blaze in just over an hour. Two apartments received heavy fire damaged, and two others received water and smoke damage. Fire officials think an electrical short started the blaze, but they are still investigating.

Posted at 11:39AM by kathryn.murchison@walb.com

Powered by WorldNow