Fire destroys home on West Waddell Avenue - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Fire destroys home on West Waddell Avenue

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Saturday, April 19 2014 11:54 PM EDT2014-04-20 03:54:50 GMT
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
  • Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:59 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:59:05 GMT
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South GeorgiaMore >>
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South Georgia Technical College.More >>
  • Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:32 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:32:11 GMT
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. He says he's had the siding redone several times.More >>
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. More >>

December 27, 2002

Albany -- An Albany family's home is destroyed by a Friday morning fire. Barbara Harris told her brother she smelled smoke around 10:35. When they opened the door to his room, they saw only flames.

All 6 people in the house escaped uninjured, but the flames spread quickly. Harris was upset because just after calling the Fire Department, she saw a fire truck pass by her road. That truck was headed to a trash fire on Baldwin Drive.

 Home owner Barbara Harris said "I called the fire truck. If they would have came on, it probably would have saved my house. But they turned on the wrong road." You think they took long to get here? "They took too long to get here."

Dispatchers alerted the fire department at 10:44. Trucks from three stations answered the alarm. The first unit arriving four minutes later at 10:48.

Investigators say a space heater was overturned in the bedroom... catching a sofa on fire. A small dog was in the room when the space heater was tipped over.

Harris' home is a total loss.

posted at 4:09 by jimw@walb.com

Powered by WorldNow