Albany business goes up in smoke - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Albany business goes up in smoke

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Saturday, April 19 2014 11:54 PM EDT2014-04-20 03:54:50 GMT
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
  • Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:59 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:59:05 GMT
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South GeorgiaMore >>
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South Georgia Technical College.More >>
  • Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:32 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:32:11 GMT
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. He says he's had the siding redone several times.More >>
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. More >>

By Delivrine Registre - bio | email

ALBANY, GA (WALB) - A massive fire ties up traffic and railways in downtown Albany. Flames and plumes of dark smoke tower over downtown Albany as firefighters work to take down the blaze at R and S Diesel Injection.

Crews were called to the business on the 900 block of Roosevelt Avenue just after 6:00 PM Saturday afternoon.

Firefighters say a vacant house next door caught on fire causing the storage unit of that business to also go up in smoke.

The building was filled with old parts and two 55-gallon drums of fuel additives adding plenty of fuel to that fire.

"They will call Inspector Harris in, and he will come in and do his investigation. And we will stand around as long as he needs us to stay here digging out trying to find out what the cause was," said Albany Fire Captain, Marty Leverett.

"And it could have been worse. That's bad, there was stuff in there that we would like to have back, but as long as that gold building is standing we can all go to work Monday," said Co-owner, Tim Spraggins.

Firefighters believe the blaze was possible sparked by people burning off the insulation on cooper wiring. Power was running to that storage unit.

Employees at that business are now working to put up fencing to protect the rest of the business.

Feedback


©2009 WALB News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow