Air conditioner blamed for house fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Air conditioner blamed for house fire

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Worth County is Camera Ready

    Worth County is Camera Ready

    Monday, September 15 2014 10:50 PM EDT2014-09-16 02:50:56 GMT
    Karen Rackley, Sylvester-Worth County Chamber of Commerce Executive DirectorKaren Rackley, Sylvester-Worth County Chamber of Commerce Executive Director
    Every county in Georgia is now camera ready.Worth County is one of the final 20 counties that just earned the designation meant to show television and movie producers that local communities are able and willing to help them. More >>
    Every county in Georgia is now camera ready.Worth County is one of the final 20 counties that just earned the designation meant to show television and movie producers that local communities are able and willing to help them. More >>
  • Sylvester city departments remain without phone service

    Sylvester city departments remain without phone service

    Monday, September 15 2014 10:50 PM EDT2014-09-16 02:50:33 GMT
    Bill Yearta, Mayor of SylvesterBill Yearta, Mayor of Sylvester
    All city departments in Sylvester remain without phone service. The phone system went down on Monday at Sylvester City Hall and the police, fire, and public works departments.More >>
    All city departments in Sylvester remain without phone service. The phone system went down on Monday at Sylvester City Hall and the police, fire, and public works departments.More >>
  • When does discipline go too far??

    When does discipline go too far??

    Monday, September 15 2014 10:42 PM EDT2014-09-16 02:42:39 GMT
    Dr. Sinay Edwards, Open Arms Program DirectorDr. Sinay Edwards, Open Arms Program Director
    The arrest of an NFL superstar on child abuse charges raises questions about when discipline goes too far.More >>
    The arrest of an NFL superstar on child abuse charges raises questions about when discipline goes too far.More >>

By Jim Wallace - bio | email

ALBANY, GA (WALB) - The cord of an over worked window air conditioner is blamed for a fire that gutted an Albany duplex.

This is all that is left of the unit on East Society. The fire started around last night. Kathy Williams was not at home in this apartment, but her Mother Latisha Williams was in the other side of the duplex with her two grandchildren. They got out OK, but the family lost everything.

Albany Fire Department Chief James Carswell said  "The unit itself needed to cool down. It can't run 24 hours a day. It's not designed to run 24 hours, and if you do it that way it's going to overheat somewhere."

Chief Carswell says make sure you don't cover the cord on your window air conditioner, and occasionally turn off the unit to cool down.

Feedback


©2009 WALB News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.