Fire at the Holiday Inn gives guests a scare - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Fire at the Holiday Inn gives guests a scare

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Unmasked man robs Albany gas station

    Unmasked man robs Albany gas station

    Wednesday, September 17 2014 4:01 AM EDT2014-09-17 08:01:48 GMT
    Around 1:30 Wednesday morning an unmasked man walked into a north Albany Flash Food store and robbed a clerk.More >>
    Around 1:30 Wednesday morning an unmasked man walked into a north Albany Flash Food store and robbed a clerk.More >>
  • Art raises money for Albany Humane Society

    Art raises money for Albany Humane Society

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 11:18 PM EDT2014-09-17 03:18:25 GMT
    May Gillespie and Lauren GallMay Gillespie and Lauren Gall
    Supporters of the Albany Humane Society used art to raise money for the shelter. The Albany Museum of Art hosted Artists for Animals. More >>
    Supporters of the Albany Humane Society used art to raise money for the shelter. The Albany Museum of Art hosted Artists for Animals. More >>
  • Man makes cross country trip to raise childhood cancer awareness

    Man makes cross country trip to raise childhood cancer awareness

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 11:14 PM EDT2014-09-17 03:14:16 GMT
    Jason Rogers, Cycling for Mattie's MissionJason Rogers, Cycling for Mattie's Mission
    A Waycross man is making a unique cross-country trip to raise awareness for Childhood Cancer. Jason Rogers rode into Albany Tuesday night on day 23 of his triathlon from Seattle to Jacksonville.More >>
    A Waycross man is making a unique cross-country trip to raise awareness for Childhood Cancer. Jason Rogers rode into Albany Tuesday night on day 23 of his triathlon from Seattle to Jacksonville.More >>

By Christian Jennings - bio | email

ALBANY, GA (WALB) - An Albany hotel's sprinkler system worked well when a room caught fire Friday morning.

Room 137 at the Holiday Inn quickly turned into a wet mess just after ten o'clock.

Firefighters say there was a short in the wiring on a table lamp after the bed frame pinched the cord.

That caused a short in the socket behind the bed which is where the fire started.

Fortunately, the fire was put out even before firefighters got there because of the hotel's sprinkler system.

"Sprinkler systems are very important. It allowed this fire that could have been a potential problem to be held at check right there so the little bit extra water we have on the ground really isn't that big of a deal to clean up compared to what could have happened without the sprinkler system," said Capt. Daniel Potter, Albany Fire Department.

The man who had stayed in the room checked out earlier in the morning.

No one was hurt but it gave other guests quite a scare.

Feedback


©2009 WALB News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.