Don't leave the AC running - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Don't leave the AC running

By Jay Polk - bio | email

ALBANY, GA (WALB) - With hot weather gripping South Georgia, many people have the air conditioner running non-stop.

Albany firefighters say that's not a good idea. Air conditioners are meant to cool off an area and then stop so the motor and other parts can also cool down.

Running the air conditioner without a break can lead to fires when the unit overheats.

If the A. C. unit catches on fire it can lead to serious damage to the entire home.

Firefighters say being aware of the limitations of the air conditioner before you buy it can help prevent problems.

Chief James Carswell of the Albany Fire Department said, "Most of the window units or even the central units are designed for a certain tonnage or certain BTU based on the area it's trying to cool. And, of course, that's the first thing you need to do. Make sure the area you're trying to cool, the unit's big enough to keep that area cool."

Chief Carswell says the best way to avoid problems with your air conditioner is to turn up the thermostat a bit so the A. C. doesn't constantly run.

Feedback


©2009 WALB News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • The Latest: Irma weakens into a tropical depression

    The Latest: Irma weakens into a tropical depression

    Monday, September 11 2017 3:27 AM EDT2017-09-11 07:27:29 GMT
    Tuesday, September 12 2017 2:42 AM EDT2017-09-12 06:42:09 GMT
    Irma weakened to a Category 1 storm as the massive hurricane zeroed in on the Tampa Bay region early Monday after hammering much of Florida with roof-ripping winds, gushing floodwaters and widespread power outages.More >>
    Irma weakened to a Category 1 storm as the massive hurricane zeroed in on the Tampa Bay region early Monday after hammering much of Florida with roof-ripping winds, gushing floodwaters and widespread power outages.More >>
  • breaking

    Officials determine deadly Lee Co. fire caused by electrical malfunction

    Officials determine deadly Lee Co. fire caused by electrical malfunction

    Friday, September 22 2017 4:53 PM EDT2017-09-22 20:53:34 GMT

    Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner Ralph Hudgens said the cause of a Friday morning house fire in Lee County that killed two elderly women was accidental.

    More >>

    Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner Ralph Hudgens said the cause of a Friday morning house fire in Lee County that killed two elderly women was accidental.

    More >>
  • Lee Co. seeks man who exposed himself

    Lee Co. seeks man who exposed himself

    Friday, September 22 2017 3:54 PM EDT2017-09-22 19:54:23 GMT
    (Source: Lee Co. Sheriff)(Source: Lee Co. Sheriff)

    About 8:00 Friday morning, a man went into the Lee County Walmart, walked around the store, and exposed himself to a woman, according to Lee County sheriff's officials.

    More >>

    About 8:00 Friday morning, a man went into the Lee County Walmart, walked around the store, and exposed himself to a woman, according to Lee County sheriff's officials.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly