The dangers in putting up a Christmas tree - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

The dangers in putting up a Christmas tree

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Stores gear up for Tax Free Weekend

    Stores gear up for Tax Free Weekend

    Friday, August 1 2014 5:18 AM EDT2014-08-01 09:18:42 GMT
    Retail stores in South Georgia are gearing up for the tax free holiday weekend.More >>
    Retail stores in South Georgia are gearing up for the tax free holiday weekend.More >>
  • Shoppers fire up for tax free holiday

    Shoppers fire up for tax free holiday

    Friday, August 1 2014 4:12 AM EDT2014-08-01 08:12:21 GMT
    Calculators, spirals, backpacks...just a few essentials for back-to-school shopping and with a bonus of a tax free holiday, shoppers will be scrambling to snag the best deals. More >>
    Calculators, spirals, backpacks...just a few essentials for back-to-school shopping and with a bonus of a tax free holiday, shoppers will be scrambling to snag the best deals. More >>
  • Phoebe foundation receives donation for medical student housing

    Phoebe foundation receives donation for medical student housing

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:25 PM EDT2014-08-01 03:25:30 GMT
    Lauren Ray, Phoebe Foundation Executive DirectorLauren Ray, Phoebe Foundation Executive Director
    A generous donation will help build a $5 million medical student housing facility on Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital's campus.The Richard King Mellon Foundation donated $1 million to the Phoebe Foundation for the proposed 25-unit gated community. More >>
    A generous donation will help build a $5 million medical student housing facility on Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital's campus.The Richard King Mellon Foundation donated $1 million to the Phoebe Foundation for the proposed 25-unit gated community. More >>

December 16, 2002

Albany - A Christmas tree can turn into a very dangerous holiday decoration because it can go up in flames in seconds. The Albany Fire Department staged a tree fire in a training home on South McKinley Street in Albany.

Firefighters lit the bottom of the tree, near wrapped presents. Ten seconds later the side of the tree went up in flames. Only twenty seconds after that the entire tree was consumed with fire, burning a whole through the ceiling. The tree was destroyed in thirty seconds.

Each year holiday fires injure two-thousand people and cause more than 500-million dollars in damages.

Here's safety tips to staying out of danger. Keep the tree stand filled with water at all times. Never put tree branches or needles in a fireplace or wood burning stove. Inspect holiday lights for frayed wires, bare spots or cracked sockets. Do not overload electrical outlets. Do not leave holiday lights on unattended and never put a lit candle near or on you're Christmas tree.

posted 6:15PM by kathryn.simmons@walb.com