Kids face dangers in the kitchen - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Kids face dangers in the kitchen

Posted: Updated:

By Christian Jennings - bio | email

THOMASVILLE, GA (WALB) - With summer right around the corner, kids will soon be out of school and many of them left to cook for themselves.

The Thomas County Fire Department says it's important for parents to teach their kids basic kitchen fire safety.

Many kids use microwaves instead of stoves or ovens, but fires can start there too.

If a fire starts, firefighters say don't open the door. Instead unplug the microwave and call 9-1-1.

Never put non-microwavable items like metal pots or pans in a microwave. If a fire starts on the stove, smother the pot with a lid instead of using water.

And if you're cooking with kids nearby remember to keep the handles turned in.

"The other thing is, keep that area clean. Clear of grease, build up, things that may fall down in the stove, and also if there are any packages around that could catch fire, be sure that they're free of the stove as well," says Fire Chief Chris Jones.

Most kitchen fires are a result of unattended food left cooking. Kids are most often hurt by burns when removing hot items from microwaves.

Firefighters say you should always be cautious and keep a fire extinguisher nearby.

Feedback


©2009 WALB News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.