My house flooded, what does FEMA cover? -, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

My house flooded, what does FEMA cover?

By Christian Jennings - bio | email

MITCHELL COUNTY, GA (WALB) - 837 South Georgians have applied for federal assistance to help pay for damage caused by spring storms and flooding.

Disaster recovery centers remain open in several communities where flood victims can apply for aid and ask questions about federal assistance.

We spoke with a FEMA representative today about just who and what are eligible.

When disaster strikes, financial concerns follow. Flood victims in 22 south Georgia counties are now eligible for federal assistance.

And whether you have insurance, or not, you can qualify for help. Sounds simple. But many have questions on what FEMA covers, and what it doesn't.

A frequently asked question is,  Does FEMA cover insurance deductibles?

"You deductible is part of the arrangement with your policy. FEMA will not reimburse you for the deductible," says FEMA Public Affairs Officer Don North.

But anything over the deductible that your insurance does not cover, FEMA will in the form of an SBA loan.

"Right now you can get a very low interest rate," says North.

Many residents that stopped by the Mitchell county disaster recovery center don't have flood insurance.

They may be eligible for direct grants.

"Eligibily is determined by income, ability to pay back a loan, and the extent of loss," says North.

And if you stayed in a hotel for a few weeks? Save the receipts. You can get a grant for that too. There are also grants for roof repairs, and loss of essential properties like wheel chairs. example.

Fema representatives says the biggest concern flood victims have are concerns about mold growing in their home. And that raises the question, can money spent removing the mold be reimbursed?

"FEMA does not pay for a proffesional mold removal unless it's so serious you have to remove a wall or something," says North.

Questions like these and more can all be answered in person if you stop by your local recovery center. But remember, the key is applying.

If your home sustained any damage at all, apply for assistance. It can't hurt, but could help lessen your financial burden.

Recovery centers in Tift, Decatur, Colquitt, and Mitchell counties will close Saturday.

This afternoon FEMA added Ben Hill County to the list for individual assistance and Lee and Seminole Counties to the list for public assistance.


©2009 WALB News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly