Church to help 15 displaced by fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Church to help 15 displaced by fire

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Charge up free in Tifton

    Charge up free in Tifton

    Thursday, July 24 2014 5:40 PM EDT2014-07-24 21:40:12 GMT
    The newest Tesla Model S supercharger is in Tifton, behind Starbucks right of Interstate 75. Drivers can use any of the eight charging stations free.More >>
    The newest Tesla Model S supercharger is in Tifton, behind Starbucks right of Interstate 75. Drivers can use any of the eight charging stations free.More >>
  • Valdosta chamber helping South GA businesses save money

    Valdosta chamber helping South GA businesses save money

    Thursday, July 24 2014 5:34 PM EDT2014-07-24 21:34:53 GMT
    The Valdosta-Lowndes County chamber is helping South Georgia businesses save money on workers compensation premiums.The chamber is part of the state-run program called "DRUGS DON"T WORK," which is being sponsored locally by Peaceway Counseling and Mediation Services in Valdosta.More >>
    The Valdosta-Lowndes County chamber is helping South Georgia businesses save money on workers compensation premiums.The chamber is part of the state-run program called "DRUGS DON"T WORK," which is being sponsored locally by Peaceway Counseling and Mediation Services in Valdosta.More >>
  • Moultrie man burglarized during hospital stay

    Moultrie man burglarized during hospital stay

    Thursday, July 24 2014 5:20 PM EDT2014-07-24 21:20:47 GMT
    A Moultrie man came home from the hospital to an empty entertainment system and window. Tommy Edwards was in the hospital for 10 days after getting an infection.More >>
    A Moultrie man came home from the hospital to an empty entertainment system and window. Tommy Edwards was in the hospital for 10 days after getting an infection.More >>

By Karen Cohilas - bio | email

ALBANY, GA (WALB) - Fire investigators say a clothes dryer sparked an early morning fire that destroyed an east Albany home. Fifteen people were asleep inside the house at 925 South Street when it caught fire around 2:00AM Tuesday morning.

Firefighters found it fully involved and spent much of the early morning hours putting out hot sports. Carleata Jones said her son awoke to the smell of smoke and alerted everyone just minutes before the house was consumed by fire.

The home was a complete loss but no one was injured. The family lost all of their belongings. The Southwest Georgia chapter of the American Red Cross is assisting the family.

A church plans to reach out to that family and hopes others will follow their lead. Pastor Derrick Mike at St. Mary Missionary Baptist Church says he's working to find out the immediate needs of the family to see what the church can provide now.

He also met with a group of pastors this morning to see how other churches can come together and support the family. He said, "We don't know when we're going to end up in that situation or if we could end up in that situation so because we could anytime it befalls upon us to fall in that situation, I would encourage anyone to help because when it's your time, you're going to want someone to help you especially when you have children involved."

Pastor Mike says the church will start with the short-term needs and continue to help the family find more permanent housing.

Feedback


©2009 WALB News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.