Investigators say a cigarette that was not fully extinguished in one of the bedrooms caused the fire.
Smoke billowed out of the roof as firefighters took down the blaze last night about 10:30.
About half the home at 1315 West Highland Avenue was destroyed. The other half sustained heavy smoke damage.
The homeowner had just left the house when the fire started. No one was injured.
©2009 WALB News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
An Albany mother whose two-year-old child was found on an east Albany street in the middle of the night made her first appearance in court Wednesday morning.More >>
The gator was found this morning outside a unit at The Gardens Apartments in Albany off Whispering Pines Road, near Slappey Boulevard.More >>
Wheeler and Coffee Correctional Facility opened vocational training programs in welding and diesel maintenance in January of 2017.More >>
University leaders said the consolidation strengthened the university and they hope to continue to move up in the rankings.More >>