Albany Firefighters are getting more fit - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Albany Firefighters are getting more fit

By Jay Polk - bio | email

ALBANY, GA (WALB) - When they're responding to a call, Albany Firefirefighters have a heavy burden on their shoulders...literally.

"Somewhere between 60 and 70 pounds of gear is what he's wearing each time he goes out on a call," according to Ron Rowe, the Assistant Fire Chief of the Albany Fire Department.

And if a firefighter is not in peak condition, the results can be devastating.

"More than 100 firefighters die every year in the line of duty. Most of those are from heart attacks or some other kind of stress related injury," Rowe said.

So, to help firefighters keep their fitness up, and to try to keep tragic deaths down, the Department of Homeland Security is giving grants to local fire departments to start fitness programs. And Albany received some of that money.

"We received a total, with the matching total from the city and the Homeland Security of $294,000," Rowe said.

The city contributed 20 per cent of the money with Homeland Security giving the other 80 per cent. The money will go to buy fitness equipment for all eleven of the stations that the city maintains.

For Albany Fire Fighters, getting the grant means being able to maintain their fitness. And to help them with that goal, they've partnered with one of the local hospitals.

That hospital is Phoebe Putney. They bring their expertise to the table in terms of fitness and diet.

Darrell Sabbs, the Community Benefits Coordinator for Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital said, "as the experts in the field we can say 'OK, if you want to go to that level in terms of your goal and ambition; then what we need to do is to follow this particular kind of design'".

For the hospital, it was a partnership formed out of respect.

"We think it is so important, as a health system, to do all that we can to help protect and preserve and prevent in terms of health assistance to these guys and gals," said Sabbs.

For the fire fighters, maintaining fitness is a help to the taxpayers as well.

"We're trying to reduce workman comp claims, we're trying to reduce health care costs," said Assistant Chief Rowe.

So in the future, when these firefighters respond to a call, you can be sure that they'll be as healthy as they are well trained.

Feedback


©2009 WALB News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Pelham street signs will soon go up to honor State Championship team

    Pelham street signs will soon go up to honor State Championship team

    Thursday, March 30 2017 11:03 AM EDT2017-03-30 15:03:00 GMT
    (Source:WALB)(Source:WALB)

    The votes are in and Pelham has officially revealed it's new street signs honoring the girl's basketball state championship teams. The city polled community members on it's facebook page with two different designs.

    More >>

    The votes are in and Pelham has officially revealed it's new street signs honoring the girl's basketball state championship teams. The city polled community members on it's facebook page with two different designs.

    More >>
  • Sumter Co. Fire Dept. fights blaze at home

    Sumter Co. Fire Dept. fights blaze at home

    Thursday, March 30 2017 10:50 AM EDT2017-03-30 14:50:21 GMT
    (Source: WALB)(Source: WALB)

    Sumter County Fire & Rescue is on scene of a house fire off Highway 280 East. 

    More >>

    Sumter County Fire & Rescue is on scene of a house fire off Highway 280 East. 

    More >>
  • Making Marines: A full day at Parris Island

    Making Marines: A full day at Parris Island

    Thursday, March 30 2017 7:57 AM EDT2017-03-30 11:57:58 GMT
    (Source: WALB)(Source: WALB)

    WALB's Re-Essa Buckels got her first full day of Marine Recruit Depot bootcamp at Parris Island, South Carolina. Buckels was invited to attend Marine Corps Educator's Workshop to study how Marines are made. A Marine says "You have just taken the first step at becoming a member of the world's finest fighting force." Sixty educators, some from Jacksonville, some from Baton Rouge lined up on the legendary yellow footprints; the first place all recruits stop, be...

    More >>

    WALB's Re-Essa Buckels got her first full day of Marine Recruit Depot bootcamp at Parris Island, South Carolina to study how Marines are made. Sixty educators, some from Jacksonville, some from Baton Rouge, lined up on the legendary yellow footprints; the first place all recruits stop.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly