Infant may have died from accidental suffocation - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Infant may have died from accidental suffocation

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Saturday, April 19 2014 11:54 PM EDT2014-04-20 03:54:50 GMT
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
  • Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:59 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:59:05 GMT
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South GeorgiaMore >>
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South Georgia Technical College.More >>
  • Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:32 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:32:11 GMT
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. He says he's had the siding redone several times.More >>
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. More >>

By Jade Bulecza - bio | email

LAKELAND, GA (WALB) -  Lakeland Police say a two month infant may have died from accidental suffocation.

29-year old Teren Lewis was babysitting her sister's child two month Justyce Turner at 136 South Eighth Street.

When Lewis woke up next to Turner at 7 a.m. Sunday, the baby wasn't breathing. Detectives say Turner was pronounced dead at the scene by the coroner and it appears the cause of death is accidental suffocation.

"The aunt woke up and noticed the child wasn't breathing and she called her mother and her mother said to call 9-1-1 there's a problem," said Lakeland Det. H.C. Ferst.

Police don't suspect foul play but Justyce Turner's body has been sent off for an autopsy.

Copyright 2011 WALB.  All rights reserved.   Feedback

Powered by WorldNow