Cold front damages South Georgia's peach crop - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Cold front damages South Georgia's peach crop

By Robin Jedlicka - bio | email

MORVEN, GA (WALB) - Each year, at about this time, South Georgia's peach farmers have their fingers crossed that winter's temperatures won't make a sudden appearance.  This year, they weren't so lucky. 

At Lawson's Peaches in Morven, two types of peach trees perished in last week's sudden cold front.  "One's Florida Dawn, and the other would be Gulf King," says owner, Irvirn Lawson.  "Both of those were hurt pretty bad."

Those varieties had already bloomed early in January. When March delivered freezing temperatures of 26 degrees, Lawson says, "it pretty much got the good blooms we still had."

Those two varieties of peaches made up 30% of Lawson's entire crop. Without them, Irvin Lawson is still hoping to deliver the other 70%.

Workers at Lawson's Peaches know they're not out of the woods quite yet. Last year's small crop was due largely in part to a cold front that didn't hit until the first week of April.

This is the fourth straight year that South Georgia Peaches have died in late cold fronts.  To prevent this problem from happening next year, Lawson's Peaches is switching to varieties of peaches that bloom later in the year.

"By planting some later stuff, that kind of guarantees us that we'll have a crop later on," says Lawson.  "We may not have the early market, but we'll have peaches."

With the Brooks County Peach Festival coming up in May, Irvin Lawson assures us that no matter what spring has in store, Lawson's peaches will be ready for picking.

Feedback


©2009 WALB News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Dougherty Co. Commission approves 2018-19 budget

    Dougherty Co. Commission approves 2018-19 budget

    Monday, June 25 2018 2:20 PM EDT2018-06-25 18:20:37 GMT
    Dougherty County commissioners voted 6 to 1 to increase the budget by 3 mils. (Source: WALB)Dougherty County commissioners voted 6 to 1 to increase the budget by 3 mils. (Source: WALB)
    Dougherty County commissioners voted 6 to 1 to increase the budget by 3 mils. (Source: WALB)Dougherty County commissioners voted 6 to 1 to increase the budget by 3 mils. (Source: WALB)

    Dougherty County Commissioners voted in a 6 to 1 discussion to increase the 2018- 2019 budget by 3 mils.  

    More >>

    Dougherty County Commissioners voted in a 6 to 1 discussion to increase the 2018- 2019 budget by 3 mils.  

    More >>
  • Crews repair back of convenience store following break-in

    Crews repair back of convenience store following break-in

    Monday, June 25 2018 12:48 PM EDT2018-06-25 16:48:33 GMT
    The back of the convenience store on Newton Road (Source: WALB)The back of the convenience store on Newton Road (Source: WALB)
    The back of the convenience store on Newton Road (Source: WALB)The back of the convenience store on Newton Road (Source: WALB)

    Crews are repairing the back of an Albany convenience store following an early morning break in. A red truck backed into the Citgo gas station's convenience store on Newton Road. 

    More >>

    Crews are repairing the back of an Albany convenience store following an early morning break in. A red truck backed into the Citgo gas station's convenience store on Newton Road. 

    More >>
  • Valdosta Fire Dept. welcomes 10 new recruits

    Valdosta Fire Dept. welcomes 10 new recruits

    Monday, June 25 2018 11:55 AM EDT2018-06-25 15:55:25 GMT
    VFD has 10 new recruits to add to the fire department team. (Source: Ashlyn Becton)VFD has 10 new recruits to add to the fire department team. (Source: Ashlyn Becton)
    VFD has 10 new recruits to add to the fire department team. (Source: Ashlyn Becton)VFD has 10 new recruits to add to the fire department team. (Source: Ashlyn Becton)

    The Valdosta Fire Department held a family and friends day Saturday welcoming 10 new recruits to the team.  The event allowed the community to come out and welcome the new firefighters and their families to the Valdosta Fire Department family.  

    More >>

    The Valdosta Fire Department held a family and friends day Saturday welcoming 10 new recruits to the team.  The event allowed the community to come out and welcome the new firefighters and their families to the Valdosta Fire Department family.  

    More >>
Powered by Frankly