Father of eight killed after massive tree falls on Ocilla home - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Father of eight killed after massive tree falls on Ocilla home

By  Stephanie Springer  - bio | email

OCILLA, GA (WALB) –A giant tree fell onto a house and crushed a man who was asleep in his bed. Officers say they were called to 210 North Irwin Ave. around 6:30 Tuesday morning after some concerned friends noticed the tree on the home. Officers say there is no telling how long the victims were trapped underneath all of rubble while lying in bed.

Like many of us, 44-year old Carl Lott and his 32-year old girlfriend Lashonna King were in bed when the storm hit this morning."You can see that's the bed and the roof came down on top of them while they were laying there," said Ocilla Police Officer David Adkinson.

Officers say sometime after the storm hit, part of this massive 60 foot Oak tree crashed down on the back part of the home, right on top of Lott's bed. They were called to the scene around 6:30 Tuesday morning after friends called police when they noticed the massive tree on the home.

More than two dozen emergency workers, firefighters, and police officers from Irwin and Ben Hill Counties were on scene working to remove the victims from the rubble. "We used chains on the tree working it trying to get the limb off so we could get the roof up enough to get the man and women out of the house," said Adkinson.

Once the tree was pulled back workers discovered Lott was dead, and King was taken to the hospital for her injuries. Today, Lott's mother came and took a look at the damage for the first time after hearing about her son's tragic death. "I'm just numb," said his mother Harley Simpson.

She says her son was the type of man who would help anyone, so it doesn't surprise her to know he was thinking of someone else during such a horrific time. "The police man just told me he had turned over on her and that's what saved her life," she said.

Officers say a wooden chair in the corner of the room also could have helped prevent two tragic deaths this morning.

Simpson says he worked at Pilgrim Pride in Douglas and he had just started back to college. He left behind eight children who were not living with him at the home.

Officers don't know what time the tree fell. They say the tree was rotten inside.

Copyright 2011 WALB.  All rights reserved.   Feedback

Powered by Frankly