Two killed in storm clean up in Colquitt County -, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Two killed in storm clean up in Colquitt County

Storm cleanup took a deadly turn in Colquitt County where two people were killed in falling tree incidents.

The first involved a county worker who was killed just after 6:00 Tuesday morning when his truck struck several downed trees on Old Adel Road.

The second involved a trusty from the Colquitt County Correctional Institute who was killed during a work detail when a tree he was cutting up fell on him.

Colquitt County's Emergency Management Director Russell Moody was upset that clean up efforts claimed two lives. He says it stresses the power associated with these storms and how dangerous the clean up can be. Firefighters and rescue personnel using a ladder carefully worked their way across a deep ditch to remove the body of Robert Kincaid Junior.

The Colquitt County Correctional Institute inmate was part of a work detail on Taylor Road when he was pinned under a tree.

"They work every day, doing different things," SAID Russell Moody, Colquitt County EMA Director.

Crews worked for more than an hour with a backhoe to free Kincaid's body. We're told he was using a chain saw to help remove the fallen tree, when a portion of the tree he was cutting fell on him.

"It's under investigation, as the other one you were mentioning too," said Moody.

Just hours earlier and across the county on Old Adel Road 56 year old Ronnie Taylor a truck driver for the road and bridge department was on his way to work when his truck struck several fallen oaks before they could be removed. One branch sliced through the grill and hood and it sheared off the truck's roof. The Strickland's heard the crash.

"There were two trees that fell over in the middle of the road just across both lines of the road there," said Winfred Strickland, a neighbor.

They say the storm was strong, setting off their weather radio and blowing apart their Bradford Pear tree in their yard.

"The winds were blowing probably 40 miles per hour and about 3:15 it began to hard rain but, it was tough," said Strickland.

Taylor's friends who didn't want to talk on camera were shocked. They say he was as a good man, father, and neighbor who was always willing to lend a hand. He'd worked for the county for four years.

The County Commission was set to meet Tuesday night. They're expected to express their condolences to the Taylor family at the meeting.

Colquitt County had more than 70 calls for downed trees after the storm rolled through. They say it could be several days before all the debris is cleared.

Copyright 2011 WALB.  All rights reserved.   Feedback


Powered by Frankly